More than 800 Canyon Country residents lost their electrical power Tuesday night after a transformer blew and sparked a utility pole fire.
Power was restored to most of those residents at 3:16 a.m. Wednesday, Southern California Edison spokesman Paul Netter told The Signal.
At least 266 Edison customers are expected to be without electrical power until about 6 p.m. Wednesday, he said.
“We’re expecting that the power will be fully restored, hopefully, around 6,” Netter said.
Firefighters with the Los Angeles County Fire Department were dispatched to reports of the fire on Mandan Street, between Luther Drive and Vilna Avenue shortly after 11 p.m., Fire Department Inspector Joey Marron said.
“One (firefighting) unit reported seeing a flash of light and then all the power went out,” he said.
“Another unit reported seeing people standing around the power pole outside an apartment building. The (Santa Clarita Valley) Sheriff was called to investigate,” Marron said.
Southern California Edison was notified of the malfunctioning transformer, the burning utility pole and the subsequent blackout in Canyon Country, he said.
At least 266 residents have been without electricity since the transformer blew, according to Edison’s online outage website which lists the cause as “equipment problems.”
Two other outages as result of “equipment upgrading” have left other SCV residents without power.
At least 249 people have been without power in Saugus since 9 a.m. for work done on equipment situated on Avenue Terrana in Saugus. An additional 12 people have also been without power in Agua Dulce.
on Twitter @jamesarthurholt