The newest member of the Castaic Union School District (CUSD) Governing Board is scheduled to be sworn in to her position as a board member at the district meeting Thursday.
Mayreen Burk, a Castaic community member, is expected to take her Oath of Office before the regular board meeting begins. The oath will be administered by 21st District Senator Scott Wilk.
Burk was appointed to the provisional position in a 4-0 vote following a special meeting of the Governing Board Feb. 28.
During the Feb. 28 meeting, board members conducted interviews and asked Burk 12 questions relating to the district and to the roles and responsibilities of a board member.
She will fill the remainder of former Board Member Victor Torres’ term, whose resignation was effective Feb. 17 and whose term was expected to continue until November 2017.
Governing Board members are also expected to review the district’s Second Interim Budget Report for the 2016-17 school year, according to the board’s agenda.
The interim budget was given a “Positive Certification” by Superintendent Steve Doyle, stating that based on current projections, the district will meet its financial obligations for current fiscal year and two subsequent years.
In its summary the district noted that its two largest fiscal challenges include a declining enrollment and the continued implementation of the state funding formula.
The governing board is also expected to approve fire suppression system repairs by Fire Ace Inc. at Castaic Elementary School, Northlake Hills Elementary School and Castaic Middle School, as well as the installation of a new system at Live Oak Elementary School.
According to the agenda item, the repairs corrected all deficiencies and totaled $10,195.
Additional Agenda Items:
- Hear principal’s report from Castaic Elementary School Principal Stephanie Beach
- Approve Arts for All Advancement Grant Program agreement between County of Los Angeles and CUSD to support professional development in arts integration and curriculum development for elementary teachers
- Conduct first reading to adopt new board policy and administrative regulations: Federal Grant Funds, Mello Roos Districts, Family Care and Medical Leave and Debt Issuance and Management
- Conduct first reading to delete old board policy and adopt new board policy and administrative regulation: Expenditures and Services, and Financial Reports and Accountability
- Approve agreement with Demsey Filliger and Associates for actuarial valuations of retiree health insurance
On Twitter as @_ChristinaCox_