Can American players rule Wimbledon 2018?
By Charlie Smith, Contributor
Monday, April 9th, 2018

Five men and seven women from the US have lifted the famous Wimbledon trophy, some on multiple occasions during the Open era, so it is fair to say that American players have a rich history of success at tennis’s most prestigious Grand Slam event.

Billie Jean King was the first American to win Wimbledon, in 1968, when she defeated Judy Tegart in two sets, while Stan Smith became the first male to triumph, four years later, after an epic with Ilie Năstase. A selection of the sport’s and America’s biggest names have won out on Centre Court since then, including Pete Sampras on seven occasions and Martina Navratilova with a record nine victories.

Fast forward to the present day and it has been a barren few years for the US at the top of the men’s game. However, there are now nine players in the top 100 of the ATP rankings, with Jack Sock (11), Sam Querrey (14), and John Isner (17) leading the way. Both Querrey and Isner are well suited to grass-court tennis due to their powerful serves. Querrey in particular has shown that he is really in his element at Wimbledon, where he advanced to the semi-finals in 2017 before losing out to Marin Čilić. The 30-year-old also made it to the last eight in 2016.

Isner will also be remembered when his playing days are over for the incredible match against Nicolas Mahut at Wimbledon back in 2010, when he eventually lost out 70-68 in the fifth set after 11 hours and five minutes of playing time. While the 32-year-old has never got past the third round, his six foot ten inch frame and huge serve will always give him a chance of making a deep run. Sock also has the third round as his best Wimbledon finish, and he offers something a little different with his complete baseline game. Maybe this is the year that he can make his name in grand slams.

A clutch of youngsters could also play their way into Wimbledon in the coming months, including 20-year-old duo Taylor Fritz and Frances Tiafoe, and 21-year-old Jared Donaldson, who got to the third round in the event last summer. Meanwhile, the Bryan brothers have won three Wimbledon titles and are still currently in the world’s top ten, so they will offer the best chance of success again in the doubles this year. Ryan Harrison and Jack Sock could also feature heavily.

Moving on to the women’s side of the game, Serena Williams has recently made a return from maternity leave, and her coach, Patrick Mouratoglou, believes that Wimbledon will be a primary target for the 36-year-old. Williams has already won seven Grand Slam titles on the famous grass courts, and Andy Murray believes that she is capable of adding another to her incredible resume later this year. For this reason, she offers excellent value for those placing a bet on Wimbledon at Stakers.

Serena won’t be the only female vying for glory though as the US has a wealth of other talented players in the WTA Top 100, including her sister Venus (8), Sloane Stephens (12), Madison Keys (15), and CoCo Vandeweghe (16). The women’s draw is likely to be more open than the men’s, so any of this quartet could feasibly make a run to rule Wimbledon. The event will get underway on July 2nd this year and will run for two weeks until July 15th.

About the author

Charlie Smith

Charlie Smith, Contributor

Upcoming Events

Jan
12
Fri
all-day Domes – Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library
Domes – Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library
Jan 12 – May 11 all-day
Domes - Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Local resident Naomi Young, is the artist featured in the latest exhibit at the Old Town Newhall Library. The exhibit features original paintings and multimedia by Young, an artist born and raised in Jerusalem, Israel,[...]
Feb
1
Thu
all-day “The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarit... @ Valencia Library
“The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarit... @ Valencia Library
Feb 1 – Jun 1 all-day
“The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarita,” Art Exhibit @ Valencia Library  | Santa Clarita | California | United States
“THE GOLDEN OAKS OF SANTA CLARITA” ART EXHIBIT BY BRAD SERGI ON DISPLAY AT THE VALENCIA LIBRARY Library hours: Mon-Thu 10 a.m. – 9 p.m., Fri 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., Sat 10 a.m. – 5[...]
Feb
14
Wed
all-day Tickets Available Now for 41st A... @ Dodger Stadium
Tickets Available Now for 41st A... @ Dodger Stadium
Feb 14 – May 12 all-day
Tickets Available Now for 41st Annual SCV Dodger Day @ Dodger Stadium | Los Angeles | California | United States
SANTA CLARITA DODGER DAY TICKETS ON SALE NOW! Tickets Start at $25 and Benefit Local Schools and Non-Profits It’s time to step up to the plate! The Santa Clarita City Council invites residents to purchase[...]
Apr
19
Thu
all-day Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival Co... @ Event Locations Vary
Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival Co... @ Event Locations Vary
Apr 19 – Apr 22 all-day
BUY YOUR TICKETS NOW FOR COWBOY FESTIVAL CONCERTS – Locations, Times & Prices Vary 25th Annual Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival offers ticketed performances and special events Get ready for some toe-tapping, two-stepping, guitar-picking musical performances![...]
Apr
20
Fri
Apr 20 – Apr 23 all-day
7:00 pm Hart High School Presents ‘Bye, ... @ Hart High school Auditorium
Hart High School Presents ‘Bye, ... @ Hart High school Auditorium
Apr 20 @ 7:00 pm
Hart High School Presents 'Bye, Bye Birdie' @ Hart High school Auditorium | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Spring Musical Coming April 2018! Hart High Theatre is proud to present Bye Bye Birdie! April 19, 20, 27 & 28 @ 7pm April 28 & 29 @ 1pm When the draft selects rock star[...]
Apr
21
Sat
Apr 21 – Apr 24 all-day
10:00 am Astronomy Day @ Valencia Library
Astronomy Day @ Valencia Library
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 10:00 pm
The Local Group Astronomy Club and The Santa Clarita Public Library present our free annual Astronomy Day Celebration. We will be at the Valencia branch of the Santa Clarita Public Library from 10am to 3pm.[...]
10:00 am Resource Parents Needed to Foste... @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222
Resource Parents Needed to Foste... @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Resource Parents Needed to Foster or Foster-Adopt a Child @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222 | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Adoption is a meaningful way for individuals and couples to fulfill their dream of parenting.  There are approximately 64,000 children in foster care in California.  Los Angeles County’s foster care population exceeds 21,000 children with[...]
10:00 am The City of Lancaster’s 27th Ann... @ Sgt. Steve Owen Memorial Park
The City of Lancaster’s 27th Ann... @ Sgt. Steve Owen Memorial Park
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
The City of Lancaster’s 27th Annual California Poppy Festival, Sat & Sun @ Sgt. Steve Owen Memorial Park | Lancaster | California | United States
On April 21 and 22, the City of Lancaster will host the 27th annual California Poppy Festival™ at Sgt. Steve Owen Memorial Park (43063 10th Street West). Drawing more than 40,000 attendees and spanning 35[...]