Press Release: U.S. Forest Service Areas Reopen with New Sand Fire Closure Order ARCADIA, California, October 14, 2016 – Officials signed a new Sand Fire Closure Order this week reducing the size of the previously closed area by half. This new order will allow visitor and hunters back into some popular recreation areas. Order NO. 01-06-09 was signed on October 11th for public safety and resource protection. “We expect the closure area to need about one year or so to recover from the devastating effects of the Sand Fire” said new Deputy Forest Supervisor, Rachel Smith. The burn area is largely without vegetation and is subject to rock and sand slides that create a hazard to the public. “Closure of the fire burn area and National Forest Land System roads and trails providing access to it is necessary to allow the area to re-vegetate and to recover from damage caused by fire suppression activities” said Smith. Newly open areas include trail camps such as the Tom Lucas and, Lightning Point, picnic areas like Hidden Springs, Vogel Flat, and popular trail heads including Trail Canyon and Oak Springs. “Sometimes as land managers we have to make tough decisions that weigh the public needs against what’s best for the land. Closing an area is never an easy choice. I am pleased to have the opportunity to allow access back into a previously closed area today” Smith explained. A copy of the closure order and map can be found at: www.fs.usda.gov/angeles/ Current Closure Orders and Maps.