Sheriff’s operation nets assault with a deadly weapon suspect

Sheriff's deputies in tactical gear make their way down Sumac Court in Canyon Country on Tuesday. Katharine Lotze/Signal

A man unhappy with the excessive noise his neighbors made allegedly took matters into his own hands Tuesday afternoon.

What started as a neighborly dispute quickly escalated.

The man, whose identity was not released to The Signal, apparently brandished a handgun, according to Sgt. Courtland Myers of the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station.

A woman looks out her window during a telephone conversation to get a glimpse of a police operation below. (Katharine Lotze/Signal)

At 12:43 p.m., sheriff’s deputies locked down an area of Canyon Country near Fahren Court and Sumac Court where the man was last seen.

The station’s BearCat, a large black armored vehicle used to shield deputies in a tactical situation, refueled and rolled into the Park Sierra Apartments shortly after 1 p.m.

Sheriff’s deputies take a man into custody on Sumac Court on Tuesday in Canyon Country. (Katharine Lotze/Signal)

About six patrol cars pulled into the complex of two-story beige buildings and established a perimeter surrounding an alleyway on Sumac Court.

A dozen armed and shielded deputies took shelter behind the heavy duty utility vehicle. Others kept bystanders away from the line of fire, and behind a yellow line of sheriff’s barrier tape.

The alley, which stretched between Fahren Court and Red Bud Place, was flanked on both ends by patrol units and smartphone-toting onlookers hoping to get a peek of the action taking place outside their homes.

Throughout the operation, several people attempted to enter the contained zone and were asked over loudspeaker to vacate the area.

Deputies form a tactical plan during a search for a man wanted for assault with a deadly weapon Tuesday. (Austin Dave/The Signal)

At 2:25 p.m., deputies wearing helmets and vests positioned the armored vehicle at the east end of the street. A few minutes later, the armed crew moved toward a garage. One of the deputies motioned to a man and backed away.

The man, who Sgt. Myers confirmed was indeed the suspect, raised his hands to the air and walked backward in the direction of the deputies where he was quickly taken into custody.

A deputy stands inside an armored vehicle during a search for a man wanted for assault with a deadly weapon Tuesday. (Austin Dave/The Signal)

One of the deputies seized a black backpack and placed it on the hood of a sheriff’s radio car.

The man was eventually arrested a few minutes past 3 p.m. and will face charges of assault with a deadly weapon, Myers confirmed.


Related To This Story

Latest NEWS