The Santa Clarita Community College District, which oversees College of the Canyons, is expected to review several financial reports during its meeting Wednesday that include its annual budget requirements.
These annual parameters provide the college with information to create a fiscally responsible budget during the upcoming year, officials said.
Changes to the 2018-19 budget numbers include bringing the added salary and benefits of faculty and staff worth 85 percent of the college’s total budget.
The college also added a regulation called the “50 percent law” which requires salaries and benefits to equal 50 percent or more of the college’s unrestricted fund expenses.
COC also added strategic goals that include policy reform, tutoring and the funding formula, and added student services to its student access and completion standards.
For its Strategic Vision Goals, which follow the goals of the California Community College System, COC also added information about the California Guided Pathways/Guided Pathways Award Program, the Canyons Completes Integrated Plan/SSSP, Student Equity and Basic Skills, Open Educational Resources and the Adult Education Block Grant.
The Board of Trustees is also expected to approve of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Classified Confidential Employee Group (CCEG) that was approved Sept. 13.
This agreement resulted in a 2 percent total compensation increase, effective July 1, 2106, for the employees and an additional 1 percent total compensation increase effective July 1, 2017.
In addition, the board is expected to approve of the Associated Salary Schedules with the MOU that provides a 1.17 percent increase to the salary schedule which was effective July 1, 2016 and July 1, 2017.
Board of Trustees members are also expected to approve of budget transfer for the month of October.
These transfer resulted in an increase of $1,694 to the Unrestricted General Fund, an increase of $709,450 to the Restricted General Fund, an increase of $2,448 to the K-12 Arts Education Outreach Fund and an increase of $217,500 to the Student Financial Aid Fund.
In addition, the board is expected to approve of the monthly financial report, which resulted in an increase of $931,092 to several funds and brought the Unrestricted General Fund ending fund balance to more than $10 million.
During this meeting, the Board of Trustees is also expected to elect its new president, vice president, clerk and secretary-parliamentarian.
Additional Agenda Items
- Approve of board meeting dates for 2018
- Approve of the 2017 California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office Guided Pathways Award Program Self-Assessment Tool
- Approve and ratify payments for supplementary services for full-time faculty totaling $46,282.66 this month
- Present re-opener proposals with the College of the Canyons Faculty Association CTA/NEA for 2018-19 school year
- Approve of modifications to board policies: Financial Aid and Claims Against the District
- Approve of board policy: Use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems
- Approve of repeal of board policy: Public Records
- Award a bid to Hyland Software for the college’s new Document Management System
On Twitter as @_ChristinaCox_