Hundreds of dogs, cats, kittens, and puppies will be available for adoption at the 16th Annual Bow-Wows & Meows Pet Fair at Newhall’s William S. Hark Park on Sunday, October 9. The 2016 fair, sponsored by Ingolstadt West German Auto Specialists, Animal Medical Center, Pets-Global, Valencia Veterinary Center, and Scorpion, kicks off at 11 a.m.
All six Los Angeles County Animal Shelters will be offering discounted adoption fees of just $30 and their veterinary team will be on hand to answer questions from new County adopters. Additional adoptions will also be available from Best Friends Animal Society – Los Angeles, St. Bonnie’s Sanctuary, New Leash On Life, and Boxer Rescue Los Angeles (adoption fees and policies vary).
Every County pet is spayed or neutered, immunized and microchipped, and ready to go home immediately. Adopters receive a special, complimentary goody bag for their new family member compliments of Bow-Wows & Meows sponsors and vendors.
“Adoption is the most humane way to bring home a new best friend and it’s the most cost-effective, too,” said Yvonne Allbee, founder of Bow-Wows & Meows, Inc. “Most of the dogs and cats at the fair were once part of a family, so they acclimate really well to being in a home again.”
Since it began in 2001, the Valencia-based Bow-Wows & Meows, Inc., a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, has adopted out close to 1,900 pets at its annual fairs.
In 2015, Bow-Wows & Meows had a record breaking 200 adoptions and Allbee hopes the fair exceeds that number this year. “Our goal is to send all the shelter trucks back empty at the end of the day,” Allbee said. “With the community’s help, we can make that happen.”
Entrance to the family-friendly fair is free and activities include:
- Awesome agility entertainment from Disc Dogs at 11:30 and 2:30 p.m.
- Huge “Super Raffle” with amazing prizes at just $1 per ticket
- The Famous Fun Dog Show, with categories ranging from best vocalist to mystery mutt to pet-owner look-alike at 1:30 p.m. (Contestants can pre-register online via Facebook page at BWMPetFair).
- Personalized ID tags and children’s bracelets
- Food Truck Court with delicious dining options (including vegan and vegetarian)
- Pet photographer and artists
- Shopping opportunities ranging from premium pet food to fantastic pet accessories
- Low-cost vaccines from TAGS (free Rabies shots)
- County pet license renewals
Free parking on the grounds of Hart Park will be provided for the second consecutive year, thanks to parking sponsor Ingolstadt West German Auto Specialists in Canoga Park. Shuttles will transport guests to the fair entrance. Leashed, well-behaved dogs of all breeds are welcome to ride and attend with their owners.
Local pet lovers can help the fair succeed by spreading the word about Bow-Wows & Meows via Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/BWMPetFair), Instagram (bowwowspetfair), or Twitter (@BowWowsPetFair).