Members of the Newhall School District Governing Board will review gift reports, field trips, notices of completion and the purchase of furniture during the board’s regular meeting Wednesday.
The board will also review nominated at-large candidates for the Los Angeles County Committee on School District Organization to fill vacancies in the First, Fourth, Fifth Supervisorial Districts.
Nominees include incumbent John Nunez for the First District, incumbent Frank Bostrom for the Fourth District and incumbent Joel Peterson, Chuck Coyne and Paul de la Cerda for the Fifth District.
Since the board’s last meeting, the district’s schools received $23,958.45 in gifts to fund general school use, toner, field trips, accelerated reader programs, robotics and school supplies. The donations bring the total gifts for the fiscal year to $32,000.
With a “piggyback” contract, the district will purchase 68 Anywhere Carts from Capistrano Unified School District to house the additional computer devices approved at the board’s Nov. 1 meeting.
The board will also consent to notices of completion for acoustical panels and tack board, painting and coating and concrete at Old Orchard Elementary as part of Measure E.
For field trips, second and third students at Newhall Elementary School include travel to California Institute for the Arts for a weekly afterschool program to create projects alongside CalArts students.
The board is also set to approve an afterschool robotics program for Wiley Canyon School fourth, fifth and sixth grade students called “Bricks 4 Kidz Enrichment Program.” This program will allow participating students to apply lessons learned through the state’s Common Core Standards and Next Generation Science Standards.
Additional Agenda Items
- Second reading of revisions to board policies on Tobacco-Free Schools; Sexual Harassment; Bullying; Child Abuse Prevention and Reporting; Deletion of Child Abuse Reporting Requirements
- Third reading and adoption of updated board policies Nondiscrimination/Harassment and Sexual Harassment-Students
- Consideration of approving Single Plan for Student Achievement at Peachland Elementary, Pico Canyon Elementary and McGrath Elementary
- Presentation on the 100th anniversary of Newhall Elementary School PTA
- Production contract with Musical Theatre International for Wiley Canyon Elementary’s sixth grade production of Disney’s “The Lion King Jr.”
On Twitter as @_ChristinaCox_