Members of the Saugus Union School District Governing Board will review committee appointments, the PAC K-12 curriculum and updated board policies the during the board’s regular meeting Tuesday.
Community Advisory Committee
As part of the Special Education Local Plan area, the district established a Community Advisory Committee (CAC) to meet to improve the education of children with special needs.
CAC representatives are selected and approved by the board, meet six times per year, hold the term for two years and may not hold the position for more than two consecutive terms.
The Saugus District is responsible for six positions on the board and recently appointed Dana Harris as a Parent of IWEN, or special education parent, on the committee.
Students from Rio Vista Elementary School will attend workshops at College of the Canyon’s Performing Arts Center during the 2016-17 school year.
The workshops will be for each grade level and will feature professional artists teaching and presenting about music and rhythm, instrument making, motivational music, African drumming and dance instruction.
During the meeting, the board will hear first readings of eight board policies: District Residency, Immunizations, Head Lice, Education for Foster Youth, Nonresident Foreign Students, Personnel-Lactation Accommodation, Personnel- Employee Use of Technology, and Personnel-Appointment and Conditions of Employment.
The board will also hear second readings and adopt six updated board policies: All Personnel Concepts and Roles, All Personnel- Drug and Alcohol-Free Workplace, Personnel- Nondiscrimination in Employment, All Personnel- Reasonable Accommodation, Facilities- School Facilities Improvement Districts, and Business and Noninstructional Bids.
Additional Agenda Items
- Review of proposed field trips with Cedarcreek Elementary School and Highlands Elementary School
- Approval of a $152 prorated four-day attendance option for Child Development Programs during break weeks
- The board is accepting nominations for representatives to California School Boards Association (CSBA) Delegate Assembly until Jan. 7
- Approval of agreement with Gonzalez Goodale Architects for site specific master planned for improvements to Emblem Academy (Measure EE)
- Isa DeArmas, the district’s new Assistant Superintendent of Education Services, will sit on the Santa Clarita Valley School Food Services Agency board of directors for SUSD
On Twitter as @_ChristinaCox_