Kat’s Eye View: Do you believe in magic?
Katharine Lotze, Signal Staff Photographer
By Katharine Lotze
Sunday, December 18th, 2016

So I’ve never been to Disneyland. Or Disneyworld.

We just never went when I was younger. We had our own little theme park in our neck of the woods of eastern Washington, and that was perfectly alright with us. My brother and I would get free tickets in the summer if we read the right number of books, however, tickets at Silverwood used to be only around $30 per person anyway. And as it was a four-hour drive, it was definitely more of a commitment than a day trip, but far less of one than Disneyland.

Which is why I’ve never been to Disneyland. We just never had a reason to visit Southern California. Plus, tickets were so expensive. My parents talked about it, but by the time it was actually feasible, my brother and I were in our teens, and we had sports camps and classes in the summer. There was just no time to go. So we didn’t.

But today, I’m going to Disneyland for the first time. At age 25. I can’t say I’m as excited as I’d be if I were 5, 10, or even 15. But I’m still mildly enthused. I’m curious to see if Disneyland is still at all magical to someone who has no nostalgic memories of going as a kid, and no child to bring with in order to bask in their wonderment.

I mean, as a kid, it was easy to forget about the lines and wait times until you were actually in them, and about how long the drive was, and how much walking and standing there’d be. As an adult, that’s pretty much all I can think about.

“We’ll have to get up early and leave by 7 a.m. to beat the traffic.”

“I’ll have to wear comfortable shoes so standing in line isn’t as bad.”

“We should probably bring snacks because park food is so expensive.”

Waking up would be no problem at age 5 or 10. In the single-digit ages, I’d almost surely spring out of bed, like it was Christmas morning — that is, if I’d ever actually fallen asleep in the first place. The excitement might have been too much. But it wouldn’t have mattered anyway. Long car rides are like Ambien for children.

The combination of constant motion and boredom in a car still has the power to knock me out under the right circumstances. At 15, it would have been more of a dragging out of bed instead of a spring. Waking up is not something I’m too worried about now – I can wake up at 6 a.m. to go to the gym; clearly that fun factor is far below Disneyland’s.

Shoes, now too, are a serious consideration. At age 5, I’d probably opt to wear some light-up sneakers, no matter the comfort level. At 10, maybe some jelly sandals, just the same as all my friends wore, and at 15, probably some flip flops, worn with total disregard for anything my parents told me (“Those aren’t smart shoes,” – Dad), because ugh, sock tan lines are the worst when you’re 15.

I’ll probably opt for Teva sandals now at 25, because comfort is important, tan lines are not, and I’d rather not walk around in soggy shoes if we encounter a water ride (do they even have those?)

And food? Ha! Like I’d even remember to eat at 5 or 10…until I started to crash mid-afternoon, my tiny, grumpy self sending a clear signal to my parents that energy was running low, despite my insistence that we embark on yet another ride. My parents would have thought this one out, and had some Cheez-Its or pretzels in that giant, five-pound bag from Costco on hand. But of course, I wouldn’t have settled for that. We’re in Disneyland! Only Disneyland food would have been good enough to quench my 5-year-old hunger.

By the time you read this column, I’m probably standing in line, right now, in awe at a $15 basket of French fries, while contemplating an $18 salad over a $20 sandwich. Kid Me wouldn’t have trouble with this. Salad would have been ruled out immediately, and those numbers next to the cheeseburger would have seemed so small to me – I’d be more concerned about whether or not it came with pickles and onions, and if so, is there any way it could NOT come with those?

No wonder we never went to Disneyland.

About the author

Katharine Lotze

Katharine Lotze

Katharine Lotze is a photojournalist and columnist at the Signal, and can be found photographing daily life in Santa Clarita, or writing personal essays about her own daily life.

No wonder we never went to Disneyland.

About the author

Katharine Lotze

Katharine Lotze

Upcoming Events

Jan
12
Fri
all-day Domes – Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library
Domes – Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library
Jan 12 – May 11 all-day
Domes - Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Local resident Naomi Young, is the artist featured in the latest exhibit at the Old Town Newhall Library. The exhibit features original paintings and multimedia by Young, an artist born and raised in Jerusalem, Israel,[...]
Feb
1
Thu
all-day “The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarit... @ Valencia Library
“The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarit... @ Valencia Library
Feb 1 – Jun 1 all-day
“The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarita,” Art Exhibit @ Valencia Library  | Santa Clarita | California | United States
“THE GOLDEN OAKS OF SANTA CLARITA” ART EXHIBIT BY BRAD SERGI ON DISPLAY AT THE VALENCIA LIBRARY Library hours: Mon-Thu 10 a.m. – 9 p.m., Fri 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., Sat 10 a.m. – 5[...]
Feb
14
Wed
all-day Tickets Available Now for 41st A... @ Dodger Stadium
Tickets Available Now for 41st A... @ Dodger Stadium
Feb 14 – May 12 all-day
Tickets Available Now for 41st Annual SCV Dodger Day @ Dodger Stadium | Los Angeles | California | United States
SANTA CLARITA DODGER DAY TICKETS ON SALE NOW! Tickets Start at $25 and Benefit Local Schools and Non-Profits It’s time to step up to the plate! The Santa Clarita City Council invites residents to purchase[...]
Apr
19
Thu
all-day Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival Co... @ Event Locations Vary
Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival Co... @ Event Locations Vary
Apr 19 – Apr 22 all-day
BUY YOUR TICKETS NOW FOR COWBOY FESTIVAL CONCERTS – Locations, Times & Prices Vary 25th Annual Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival offers ticketed performances and special events Get ready for some toe-tapping, two-stepping, guitar-picking musical performances![...]
Apr
20
Fri
Apr 20 – Apr 23 all-day
7:00 pm Hart High School Presents ‘Bye, ... @ Hart High school Auditorium
Hart High School Presents ‘Bye, ... @ Hart High school Auditorium
Apr 20 @ 7:00 pm
Hart High School Presents 'Bye, Bye Birdie' @ Hart High school Auditorium | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Spring Musical Coming April 2018! Hart High Theatre is proud to present Bye Bye Birdie! April 19, 20, 27 & 28 @ 7pm April 28 & 29 @ 1pm When the draft selects rock star[...]
Apr
21
Sat
Apr 21 – Apr 24 all-day
10:00 am Astronomy Day @ Valencia Library
Astronomy Day @ Valencia Library
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 10:00 pm
The Local Group Astronomy Club and The Santa Clarita Public Library present our free annual Astronomy Day Celebration. We will be at the Valencia branch of the Santa Clarita Public Library from 10am to 3pm.[...]
10:00 am Resource Parents Needed to Foste... @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222
Resource Parents Needed to Foste... @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Resource Parents Needed to Foster or Foster-Adopt a Child @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222 | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Adoption is a meaningful way for individuals and couples to fulfill their dream of parenting.  There are approximately 64,000 children in foster care in California.  Los Angeles County’s foster care population exceeds 21,000 children with[...]
10:00 am The City of Lancaster’s 27th Ann... @ Sgt. Steve Owen Memorial Park
The City of Lancaster’s 27th Ann... @ Sgt. Steve Owen Memorial Park
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
The City of Lancaster’s 27th Annual California Poppy Festival, Sat & Sun @ Sgt. Steve Owen Memorial Park | Lancaster | California | United States
On April 21 and 22, the City of Lancaster will host the 27th annual California Poppy Festival™ at Sgt. Steve Owen Memorial Park (43063 10th Street West). Drawing more than 40,000 attendees and spanning 35[...]