Friday’s storm potentially the biggest in six years; more rain to come

A young man checks out the torrent of water moving through Placerita Canyon on Meadview Avenue Friday afternoon. Photo by Jim Holt, The Signal.

“This is the biggest storm that we’ve had this year and is potentially the biggest we’ve had in six years,” said Todd Hall, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service.

Friday’s storm brought down 3.78 inches of rainfall to the Santa Clarita Valley, according to the weather station in Newhall. The Saugus station received 2.88 inches.

About another quarter inch of rain is expected to fall this weekend.

“We’ll see showers continuing out through today and into this evening,” Hall said.

Saturday’s forecast calls for a slight chance of thunderstorms, then a slight chance of showers after midnight. There is a 70 percent chance of precipitation throughout the day, with a 30 percent chance at night.

“There’s an area of high pressure that will build up late tonight and early tomorrow that will give us a brief break,” Hall said.

According to Hall, there may be some breezy conditions over the weekend, but not as strong as the windy conditions that came along with Friday’s storm.

There is a slight chance of rain expected on Sunday, and temperatures may heat up a bit to the lower 60s.

“The best chance of rain will come tomorrow night into Tuesday,” Hall said.

Residents should still be on the lookout for downed trees or power lines, as the soil is still moist.

“There is still a chance that tree could still come down,” Hall said. “So continue to use caution when being outside.”

Bridge to Home winter shelter remained open on Saturday due to the storm conditions.

There are currently no high wind advisories, storm watches or other weather warnings issued for the Santa Clarita Valley as of 11:13 a.m. on Saturday

Related To This Story

Latest NEWS