Heat it up and Keep it cool Robotics competed at the Western States Super Regional tournament last week in Tacoma Washington and return to Santa Clarita with the First Place Inspire Award and a seat at the Robotics World Festival in April. Competing with 73 teams from 13 western states the local Santa Clarita team ended the 3 day tournament ranked first of the 73 teams. The team’s stats are as follows;
- The team ended the qualifying matches at 21 of 37 in our division (these are matches where teams are randomly paired into alliances).
- We ended the tournament with a statistically calculated OPR of 125 points which placed at 4th out of 37 in our division and 6th out of the 73 overall for the tournament.
- OPR is the team’s estimated offensive power ranking (i.e. how many points it is anticipated to contribute to its alliance.
- Our actual OPR was more likely in the range of 150 – 170. We ended the tournament with a statistically calculated CPR at 114 points which placed us at 8th out of 37.
- We received the top award at the tournament “The Inspire Award” (1st place) The Inspire Award is given to the team which ranks highest in Robot performance and design, has a competitive outreach program and engineering notebook.
The girls were interviewed by 15 to 20 judges, during their scheduled interview and in their team pit. It is an incredible win for the team, they were given a seat at the World Festival in April and enter that tournament as one of two Inspire winners. There they will compete against 80+ FTC teams.
The team is now fundraising to pay the $1000 entry fee and expenses for getting their robot to Houston. Please join the team on Saturday, March 18 from 11-3 p.m. at Barnes and Noble, in Valencia, for a Book fair. When you mention robotics at check out at the coffee shop or bookstore a portion of the purchase will be donated to Heat it up and Keep it cool. The team will also be demonstrating their robot in the community room. For any questions regarding robotics or Heat it up and Keep it cool please contact Teresa Smalley at 661-713-6757 or at email@example.com.