The dates and times for sixth grade promotions at all nine Sulphur Springs Union School District schools are expected to be announced by the district’s Governing Board Wednesday.
All nine events are expected to occur between June 13 and June 14 in the morning.
The 2018 Sixth Grade Promotion Dates are as followed:
- June 14: Canyon Springs at 8 a.m.
- June 14: Fair Oaks Ranch at 9 a.m.
- June 13: Golden Oak at 8:45 a.m.
- June 14: Leona Cox at 8:30 a.m.
- June 13: Mint Canyon at 8:45 a.m.
- June 14: Mitchell at 8:30 a.m.
- June 14: Pinetree at 8 a.m.
- June 14: Sulphur Springs at 9 a.m.
- June 13: Valley View at 9 a.m., 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
The Governing Board is also expected to announce the dates of the district’s annual Estrella Awards, which celebrate the accomplishments and hard work of the District’s English Learners who have met District reclassification (RFEP) criteria.
On Nov. 28 at 6 p.m. each of the schools sites will celebrate with their students from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Pinetree Community School will celebrate their students with Sulphur Springs Community School students.
In total, the district will celebrate 124 English Learner students who are being reclassified this year.
Board members are also expected to approve an agreement with Bricks 4 Kidz to bring a LEGO Bricks program to the ASES Program at Canyon Springs Community School.
Each Tuesday, students will participate in high-quality educational play by building a new project using the classic and technic LEGO elements in the context of “Energy is Everwhere.”
In addition, Governing Board members are expected to approve of consultant services from the Los Angeles county of Education’s (LACOE) Curriculum and Instruction Tobacco-Use Prevention Education (TUPE).
Through this LACOE program, sixth grade students participate in prevention curricula, Botvin’s Life Skills training, and Project Based Youth Advocacy activities.
They will study 15 lessons related good choices on alcohol, tobacco use, drug abuse, peer pressure, etc. and teachers undergo one day of professional development on the program.
The TUPE program is supported by a TUPE Grant which awarded to the district in August.
Additional Agenda Items
- Approve 2017-18 Single Plans for Student Achievement (SPSA) at Canyon Springs Community School, Golden Oak Community School, Leona Cox Community School, Mint Canyon Community School, Mitchell Community School, Pinetree Community School, Sulphur Springs Community School, and Valley View Community School
- Review district performance on its Local Indicators on the 2017 California School Dashboard accountability and continuous improvement system
- Announce call for a special board meeting for training Dec. 11 at 7 p.m.
- Approve of School Services of California, Inc. renewal agreement for fiscal and legislative support and services
- Approve of piggyback of extension of bid from the Glendale Unified School District with Apple, Inc. for Apple computer products, services, and related items for office, student and classroom supplies
On Twitter as @_ChristinaCox_