TMU Insider: Mustangs have weekend of non-stop action
Hansel Atencia (4) of The Master's University takes the ball up the court during a home match as Isaiah Hicks (13) of Bethesda chases after him on Tuesday, Nov. 14, 2017. Nikolas Samuels/The Signal
By Mason Nesbitt, Contributor
Tuesday, January 23rd, 2018

The weekend at Master’s evoked the title of a popular TV series from yesteryear.

Friday and Saturday were defined by threes, and plenty of company.

Friday: Josh Robison launched three home runs in one game to kick off a sweep of Marymount California University.

Saturday evening: Brooke Bailey buried several threes to keep women’s hoops competitive in a loss to Westmont College.

Saturday night: Men’s basketball beat Westmont by three to run its winning streak to 18, tying the longest streak in program history set by the 1994-95 Mustangs.

TMU’s Tim Soares scores against Westmont College at Master’s on Saturday night. Soares finished with a team-high 20 points and 12 rebounds. Photo courtesy of Darcy Brown

As for the company, a capacity crowd was on hand Saturday for a night tabbed “Stampede 2018,” when alumni were invited back for a barbecue and a hoops double-header featuring a trio of ranked teams.

“It was crazy,” said men’s basketball junior Hansel Atencia. “You enjoy playing in front of a crowd like this. … And having the (live) band here, that was kind of new. I liked it.”

Atencia finished with 18 points and four assists in NAIA No. 4 TMU’s 74-71 win over No. 20 Westmont. He scored 12 points after halftime as he took on a decidedly more aggressive role.

“When there’s a ball screen, the big guy is going to guard me,” Atencia said. “So I have to go. I have to take it.”

Tim Soares, the squad’s 6-foot-10 center, took down most of the rebounds, snagging 12 to go with a team-high 20 points. On one play in the first half, he took a Lawrence Russell bounce pass and took off for a dunk over a Warrior, drawing a foul and pleasing the raucous crowd.

Soares and Atencia combined to hit 6-of-6 free throws down the stretch to stave off Westmont’s final push, the Warriors closing within one three times in the final minute and a half but never getting over the hump.

Earlier, in the women’s game, it was Master’s that couldn’t quite close on No. 12 Westmont. The Mustangs trailed by 19 early in the second half before closing the deficit to nine late in the fourth and six in the closing seconds. Still, TMU lost 62-56 and fell to 12-5 overall and 2-3 in Golden State Athletic Conference play.

Bailey helped the Mustangs keep things interesting.

The sophomore finished the game with a career-high 22 points and six rebounds, with four three-pointers made. The Mustangs will look to make up ground in conference this week, when they host NAIA No. 2 Vanguard on Thursday night and host Hope International on Saturday night.

Both women’s games start at 5:30 p.m. at TMU’s Bross Court, with the men following at 7:30.

It’ll be lights, camera, action for the men’s game against Hope on Saturday, a contest that pits two Top-10 teams against each other. The No. 7 Royals have won 17 straight games.

It certainly was showtime at the MLB Urban Youth Academy in Compton last Friday.

MORE: TMU Insider: Master’s hosts annual 5k to support Children’s Hunger Fund

Robison, a fourth-year Mustang, hit the first three home runs of his career and finished the day 4-for-4 with a triple and five RBIs. Master’s beat Marymount California, 15-7.

“I knew all three of them were going to go,” said Robison, who challenged Andy Martin’s TMU record of four homers in a game, set in 1992. “… It just felt good off the bat. I knew I hit it well.”

The good offensive vibes remained fresh overnight. The Mustangs came from behind to win 5-4 in Saturday’s opener, and they rolled 13-0 in the finale.

The season-opening series also had a local flair.

Hart grad Pearson Good delivered the game-tying RBI double in the eighth inning of game two. And Saugus High graduate Robert Winslow pitched four, one-hit innings for the win in the series finale. He struck out eight and walked none.

For more information on The Master’s University, visit GoMustangs.com.     

About the author

Mason Nesbitt

Mason Nesbitt, Contributor

Upcoming Events

Jan
12
Fri
all-day Domes – Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library
Domes – Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library
Jan 12 – May 11 all-day
Domes - Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Local resident Naomi Young, is the artist featured in the latest exhibit at the Old Town Newhall Library. The exhibit features original paintings and multimedia by Young, an artist born and raised in Jerusalem, Israel,[...]
Feb
1
Thu
all-day “The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarit... @ Valencia Library
“The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarit... @ Valencia Library
Feb 1 – Jun 1 all-day
“The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarita,” Art Exhibit @ Valencia Library  | Santa Clarita | California | United States
“THE GOLDEN OAKS OF SANTA CLARITA” ART EXHIBIT BY BRAD SERGI ON DISPLAY AT THE VALENCIA LIBRARY Library hours: Mon-Thu 10 a.m. – 9 p.m., Fri 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., Sat 10 a.m. – 5[...]
Feb
14
Wed
all-day Tickets Available Now for 41st A... @ Dodger Stadium
Tickets Available Now for 41st A... @ Dodger Stadium
Feb 14 – May 12 all-day
Tickets Available Now for 41st Annual SCV Dodger Day @ Dodger Stadium | Los Angeles | California | United States
SANTA CLARITA DODGER DAY TICKETS ON SALE NOW! Tickets Start at $25 and Benefit Local Schools and Non-Profits It’s time to step up to the plate! The Santa Clarita City Council invites residents to purchase[...]
Apr
19
Thu
all-day Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival Co... @ Event Locations Vary
Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival Co... @ Event Locations Vary
Apr 19 – Apr 22 all-day
BUY YOUR TICKETS NOW FOR COWBOY FESTIVAL CONCERTS – Locations, Times & Prices Vary 25th Annual Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival offers ticketed performances and special events Get ready for some toe-tapping, two-stepping, guitar-picking musical performances![...]
Apr
20
Fri
Apr 20 – Apr 23 all-day
7:00 pm Hart High School Presents ‘Bye, ... @ Hart High school Auditorium
Hart High School Presents ‘Bye, ... @ Hart High school Auditorium
Apr 20 @ 7:00 pm
Hart High School Presents 'Bye, Bye Birdie' @ Hart High school Auditorium | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Spring Musical Coming April 2018! Hart High Theatre is proud to present Bye Bye Birdie! April 19, 20, 27 & 28 @ 7pm April 28 & 29 @ 1pm When the draft selects rock star[...]
Apr
21
Sat
Apr 21 – Apr 24 all-day
10:00 am Astronomy Day @ Valencia Library
Astronomy Day @ Valencia Library
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 10:00 pm
The Local Group Astronomy Club and The Santa Clarita Public Library present our free annual Astronomy Day Celebration. We will be at the Valencia branch of the Santa Clarita Public Library from 10am to 3pm.[...]
10:00 am Resource Parents Needed to Foste... @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222
Resource Parents Needed to Foste... @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Resource Parents Needed to Foster or Foster-Adopt a Child @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222 | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Adoption is a meaningful way for individuals and couples to fulfill their dream of parenting.  There are approximately 64,000 children in foster care in California.  Los Angeles County’s foster care population exceeds 21,000 children with[...]
10:00 am The City of Lancaster’s 27th Ann... @ Sgt. Steve Owen Memorial Park
The City of Lancaster’s 27th Ann... @ Sgt. Steve Owen Memorial Park
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
The City of Lancaster’s 27th Annual California Poppy Festival, Sat & Sun @ Sgt. Steve Owen Memorial Park | Lancaster | California | United States
On April 21 and 22, the City of Lancaster will host the 27th annual California Poppy Festival™ at Sgt. Steve Owen Memorial Park (43063 10th Street West). Drawing more than 40,000 attendees and spanning 35[...]