A suspicious white powder, later determined to be a non-toxic cleaning product, was found under one of the computers at the Stevenson Ranch Library and prompted the evacuation of the building Thursday morning.
About a dozen employees made their way from the building after the unidentified powder was discovered.
About an hour after Haz Mat crews arrived at the scene and received confirmation that the powder was a “non-toxic cleaning product” employees were allowed back into the building, a Los Angeles County Fire Department spokesman told The Signal late Thursday afternoon.
“They found white powder under a computer desk,” a fire department spokesman told The Signal earlier in the day.
Hazardous Materials units were called to the Stevenson Ranch Library on McBean Parkway and The Old Road Thursday morning.
Shortly before 10:30 a.m., a hazmat unit, a health hazmat unit and at least one ambulance were called to the 25900 block of the The Old Road.
“It’s under investigation,” a Fire Department spokesman told The Signal when asked initially to describe the concern over hazardous materials.
“Workers were outside the building,” the spokesman said referring to the library.
The incident happened at 10:28 a.m. Thursday, with firefighters arriving at the scene at 10:33 a.m.
Shortly after firefighters arrived, they requested HazMat Task Force 150.
There were no injuries reported. An ambulance was requested as a precautionary measure.
BREAKING: HazMat crews are responding to a situation at the Stevenson Ranch Library near The Old Road and Stevenson Ranch Parkway. Reporter Austin Dave is live with details.Read more here: https://signalscv.com/2018/03/haz-mat-units-called-incident-stevenson-ranch-library/
Posted by Santa Clarita Valley Signal on Thursday, March 22, 2018
On Twitter @jamesarthurholt