Parents-to-be try to be as ready for their newborn birth as possible. This includes the signing of the contract with the clinics, preparing a nursery room, as well as buying everything necessary for their future baby. As for the latter, unfortunately, quite often, lots of things appear to be unnecessary. So, how to avoid buying unneeded stuff?
There can be plenty of recommendations on what to include on the list of must-haves. Though, sometimes, future parents, especially a mom-to-be, may indulge themselves and buy those super-cute trendy toddler boy clothes that won’t be worn in the next few years. If this is what you find adorable, go for it. However, it is still better not to buy too many items so that not to regret it when they are not used.
How to Avoid Buying Unnecessary Items
- Do not fall for advertising: nowadays, commercials claim that you need so many things — from pacifiers and formula to slings and baby walkers. First of all, marketers do not always sell items that are even healthy for children. For instance, pediatricians do not recommend baby walkers as they may lead to improper development of the spine if they are used at a too early age. Why buying them before you may need them?
- Ask friends with small children for a piece of advice: this is more effective than asking parents, for example. Times have changed drastically, hence, much more useful accessories are now at the disposal of parents. Those who have recently experienced the birth of kids will give useful recommendations.
- Do not buy outfits in abundance: indeed, the list of must-haves include diverse bodysuits and onesies. However, it is better to remember that you may find unnecessary clothes that other parents love. Start with several pieces of one type of outfit. After you test them, you will know what you need for sure.
- Do not trust bloggers with huge audiences: business has already shifted to diverse blogging platforms and social networks. Native advertising, if professional, makes people believe they need certain goods and wares. Blog posts with tags from stores are very likely paid posts. That is why avoid listening to these recommendations unless you are sure you need something that is advertised in such a manner.
- Take into account season and weather: this seems obvious, however, all the cute things for newborns that are sold nowadays make people forget about approaching winter or summer. Choosing the size, try to predict when your child will put this on. Increase the chances that your baby will wear these outfits.
All in all, buying outfits and accessories for children, especially for newborns, brings pleasure to future parents. Though, all of these wares are most often quite costly. Thus, to avoid spending a fortune on unnecessary stuff, be a smart shopper and do not fall for emotional purchases, except for rare cases, of course.