Law enforcement: suspect in Acton assault with deadly weapon report outstanding

Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputies and California Highway Patrol officers gather in front of a home on Crown Valley Road after a report of an armed, barricaded suspect in Acton on Saturday, Sept. 19, 2020. Dan Watson/The Signal

A man known by law enforcement for prior threats to harm deputies remained outstanding following a large response from multiple agencies, including from the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station, upon reports of an assault with a deadly weapon early Saturday afternoon in Acton, according to officials.

The incident commenced when deputies received a call just before noon about a driver in a Silver Toyota Prius in the area who had nearly struck a pedestrian, according to Deputy Morgan Arteaga of the Sheriff’s Information Bureau. 

“Surrounding pedestrians tried to stop him by getting his license plate numbers and they saw what looked to be a gun in the vehicle and they called it in,” she said, adding that the reports described the gun to resemble that of a rifle or AR-15. 

The suspect then fled and barricaded himself in a house on the 34000 block of Crown Valley Road in Acton, but officials said there was no immediate information regarding whether the suspect was familiar with the property. 

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s deputies in technical gear respond to a report of an armed, barricaded suspect on Crown Valley Road in Acton on Saturday, September 19, 2020. Dan Watson/The Signal

The suspect was described as a man and possibly a Marine veteran who is known by deputies for prior threats, according to Sgt. Brian Parks with the Palmdale Sheriff’s Station, which also responded to the incident. 

“He is a known suspect for many reports of similar incidents; he’s known in the area,” he said. 

The incident prompted California Highway Patrol officers to block eastbound traffic on Crown Valley and Sourdough roads, according to Officer Stephan Brandt.  

After a containment was set up in the area, deputies left the scene after 1 p.m. but continued their investigation well after 3 p.m. according to officials with LASD and the SCV and Palmdale stations. 

“This is still an active investigation,” said Parks, who confirmed no one was detained and the suspect remained outstanding. Officials with the Palmdale Station and the Sheriff’s Information Bureau could not confirm whether the suspect had fled the house he had barricaded himself in after law enforcement cleared the scene.

Related To This Story

Latest NEWS