SCV Veterans Memorial, Inc. is actively seeking donations for its community-funded Fallen Warriors Monument, a black granite memorial to honor Santa Clarita residents who lost their lives while serving.
Bill Reynolds, the veteran who originally proposed the monument’s construction, said he and his team hoped to collect all of the project’s needed funds by year-end 2016. As of Sept. 9, the project received $12,697 of its $50,000 goal by 35 contributors.
Reynolds is hoping additional members of the Santa Clarita community will contribute to the monument’s funding.
“Please help us achieve this noble project,” Reynolds said.
The Fallen Warriors Monument was unanimously approved by the Santa Clarita City Council Aug. 23, almost a year after it was originally proposed by Reynolds.
The black-granite memorial will include the engraved names of 50 Santa Clarita Valley residents who lost their lives serving in war from World War II to present along with military emblems.
Reynolds said the reverse side will feature laser-etched images representing WWII to present wars. The monument will stand under trees at the corner of Veterans Historical Plaza in Newhall.
Julia Regan was named as project manager of the Fallen Warriors Monument by City Manager Ken Striplin Aug. 24.
“It’s obvious that she is going to be a tremendous asset to accomplishing this project,” Reynolds said.
Those who have donated to the monument as of Sept. 9 include:
1. Women’s Federated Republican Club
2. Amos Clemmons (Vietnam Veteran)
3. Sharon & Bob Ventrice (Vietnam Veteran)
4. Gary & Vera Bierend
5. Bill & Meg Reynolds (Vietnam Veteran)
6. Pauline Harte
7. Wynn & Rosemary Ritch (Vietnam Veteran)
8. SCV Veterans Memorial, Inc.
9. Trudy Emeterio
10. John & Mary Martin (WWII Veteran)
11. Chris Henry (Navy Veteran)
12. Scott Henry
13. Bob Reynolds (Army Veteran)
14. Thomas Gardner
15. Knights of Columbus
16. Stan Cockerell (Vietnam Veteran)
17. Jim Hackett (Vietnam Veteran)
18. Rita Wheatley (for Victor Rosen)
19. Bill Reed (Vietnam Veteran)
20. “The Boy’s of ‘67” (Vietnam Veterans)
21. John & Mary Martin (in lieu for Victor Rosen)
22. Daniel Bradley (Vietnam Veteran)
23. Sally White
24. Geralyn Huels (Victor Rosen)
25. Janet Humphrey
26. Tony & Reena Newhall
27. Barbara Reardon
28. James Cochran
29. James P. De Bree
30. Gregory Quandt
31. Greg Bernards
32. Tom Tucker (WWII Veteran)
33. Richard Roelofs
34. Michael Peterson, Peterson International Underwriters
35. Eternal Valley Memorial Park & Mortuary
Those wishing to support the monument should mail their contributions to:
SCV Veterans Memorial, Inc.
c/o Eternal Valley Memorial Park & Mortuary
23287 Sierra Highway
Newhall, California 91321
Attention: Fred Gruchalla, Treasurer