Wounded deputy came within “a fraction of an inch” of dying

Deputy suffered "through and through" gunshot wound to the neck. photo courtesy the SCV Sheriff's Station


A local sheriff’s deputy shot in the neck and now recovering at home came within “an inch” of dying, according to the homicide detective investigating the case.

“He was treated and released from hospital yesterday,” Lt. Joe Mendoza of the Los Angeles County Sheriff Department’s Homicide Bureau told The Signal Thursday.

“So are so good, thankfully he’s alive,” Mendoza said.

“This was a through and through gunshot wound to the neck,” he said. “A fraction of an inch and it would have been really tragic.”

The deputy, whose identity has not been disclosed, was released from Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital Wednesday morning.

A check with homicide detectives and investigators with the Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner-Coroner revealed that the man suspected of having fired the shot that wounded the deputy is recovering in the hospital.

Reports that the suspect was hit with five bullets have yet to be confirmed, Mendoza said Thursday.  The suspect was shot at least once in the torso.

“The suspect fired at least one shot,” he said.

“We’re looking at four deputies who returned fire,” he said. “Part of our fact-finding investigation is to gather evidence and talk to all the cops involved.”

As per LASD protocol, homicide detectives are called in to investigate any “deputy-involved shooting.”

The shooting which ended with two people shot – a Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station deputy and a suspected gunman – happened shortly after 10 p.m. Tuesday after deputies responded to an “assault with a deadly weapon call” on the 21300 block of Bottletree Lane in Newhall.

Deputies responded to reports that a man had pointed a gun at a woman who then called the sheriff, Mendoza said.

Once Mendoza interviews each of the deputies involved in the shooting and gathers all his evidence, he presents his findings to the District Attorney’s Justice Integrity Division, he said.

News of the deputy’s recovery at home came was welcomed by his peers Thursday.

“It’s been a long, sleepless night for many of us,” Shirley Miller, spokeswoman for the SCV Sheriff’s Station said.

“It is with great relief that we inform you that our deputy shot last night was released from the hospital this morning.

“He was greeted with hugs by many members of his Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s law enforcement family who were waiting. He will now start on the road to recovery, and we hope it’s a fast one,” she said.

[email protected]


on Twitter @jamesarthurholt

Related To This Story

Latest NEWS