IFC Celebrates 5th Christmas Banquet
IFC Board members and their families pose with Councilman Bob Kellar at the 5th Annual IFC Christmas Banquet. Courtesy photo
By Signal Contributor
Wednesday, January 24th, 2018

By Sam Gorlla, Santa Clarita Contributor

Members of the guest choir at the 5th Annual IFC Christmas Banquet in December. Courtesy photo

International Friendship Center held its 5th annual Christmas Celebration event last month on December 9th at the Newhall Community Center. The event, open to all, began with a rousing performance of traditional Indian Christmas carols by the Keerthana Group, directed by Sam Robinson. IFC President Dr. Jairaju Gorlla started the event off by welcoming the attendees and acknowledging IFC’s successful seven year history in the Santa Clarita Valley helping immigrants from the Indian subcontinent with adjusting to the United States.

Lenin Kancharla, Board Member and IFC Treasurer gave a short presentation detailing the organization’s work in the community and specific goals and events.

The Christmas story from the book of Luke was read by Akhila Kancharla, followed by the introduction of special guest, Santa Clarita Councilman and former mayor Bob Kellar.

The speakers at the event, Finney Premkumar, head of Truth Matters International, and Wilson Koppula, pastor of Calvary Indian Church in Manteca, were also introduced. The special guest and speakers were then honored with floral bouquets.

Bob Kellar recounted the strides Santa Clarita made in 2017 and showcased the numerous benefits the City has for those who immigrate to the U.S. After this, traditional English Christmas carols were presented by Cyril Gorlla, Director of New Media and IT, who also handled the tech for the event. Finney Premkumar then shared a Christmas message of hope and unity that encouraged attendees to reexamine their beliefs and be encouraged with the truth of Christmas. This message was followed by Dr. Koppula sharing the biblical basis of Christmas, exploring the historical account of the birth of Christ.

Councilman Bob Kellar speaking to the attendees at the 5th Annual IFC Christmas Banquet in December. Courtesy photo

The event winded down with IFC’s future plans being announced, along with a word of thanks from Dr. Gorlla. “Joy to the World” was sung, followed by a closing prayer from IFC Board Member Art Dolder. President Dr. Gorlla said of the event, “International Friendship Center strives to strengthen diversity, harmony, and peace in the community, and our annual Christmas Banquet is a great example of how we do that.”

A delicious traditional Indian dinner was served by Karma Restaurant of Santa Clarita.

About the author

Signal Contributor

Signal Contributor

IFC Celebrates 5th Christmas Banquet

Upcoming Events

Jan
12
Fri
all-day Domes – Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library
Domes – Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library
Jan 12 – May 11 all-day
Domes - Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Local resident Naomi Young, is the artist featured in the latest exhibit at the Old Town Newhall Library. The exhibit features original paintings and multimedia by Young, an artist born and raised in Jerusalem, Israel,[...]
Feb
1
Thu
all-day “The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarit... @ Valencia Library
“The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarit... @ Valencia Library
Feb 1 – Jun 1 all-day
“The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarita,” Art Exhibit @ Valencia Library  | Santa Clarita | California | United States
“THE GOLDEN OAKS OF SANTA CLARITA” ART EXHIBIT BY BRAD SERGI ON DISPLAY AT THE VALENCIA LIBRARY Library hours: Mon-Thu 10 a.m. – 9 p.m., Fri 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., Sat 10 a.m. – 5[...]
Feb
14
Wed
all-day Tickets Available Now for 41st A... @ Dodger Stadium
Tickets Available Now for 41st A... @ Dodger Stadium
Feb 14 – May 12 all-day
Tickets Available Now for 41st Annual SCV Dodger Day @ Dodger Stadium | Los Angeles | California | United States
SANTA CLARITA DODGER DAY TICKETS ON SALE NOW! Tickets Start at $25 and Benefit Local Schools and Non-Profits It’s time to step up to the plate! The Santa Clarita City Council invites residents to purchase[...]
Apr
19
Thu
all-day Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival Co... @ Event Locations Vary
Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival Co... @ Event Locations Vary
Apr 19 – Apr 22 all-day
BUY YOUR TICKETS NOW FOR COWBOY FESTIVAL CONCERTS – Locations, Times & Prices Vary 25th Annual Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival offers ticketed performances and special events Get ready for some toe-tapping, two-stepping, guitar-picking musical performances![...]
7:00 pm Hart High School Presents ‘Bye, ... @ Hart High school Auditorium
Hart High School Presents ‘Bye, ... @ Hart High school Auditorium
Apr 19 @ 7:00 pm
Hart High School Presents 'Bye, Bye Birdie' @ Hart High school Auditorium | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Spring Musical Coming April 2018! Hart High Theatre is proud to present Bye Bye Birdie! April 19, 20, 27 & 28 @ 7pm April 28 & 29 @ 1pm When the draft selects rock star[...]
Apr
20
Fri
Apr 20 – Apr 23 all-day
Apr 20 @ 7:00 pm
Apr
21
Sat
Apr 21 – Apr 24 all-day
10:00 am Astronomy Day @ Valencia Library
Astronomy Day @ Valencia Library
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 10:00 pm
The Local Group Astronomy Club and The Santa Clarita Public Library present our free annual Astronomy Day Celebration. We will be at the Valencia branch of the Santa Clarita Public Library from 10am to 3pm.[...]
10:00 am Resource Parents Needed to Foste... @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222
Resource Parents Needed to Foste... @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Resource Parents Needed to Foster or Foster-Adopt a Child @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222 | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Adoption is a meaningful way for individuals and couples to fulfill their dream of parenting.  There are approximately 64,000 children in foster care in California.  Los Angeles County’s foster care population exceeds 21,000 children with[...]