Judge R. Gary Klausner dismissed an amended complaint in federal court that had alleged a conspiracy to cover up a Newhall bar fight that involved two off-duty deputies and left the son of a wealthy local business owner badly beaten.
An attorney for former Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station Capt. Justin Diez — now a commander in the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department — called the decision “a decisive win in federal court,” while the plaintiff’s attorney said he’s now considering his appellate and district court options.
The lawsuit alleged that Parker Seitz — whose father, Ryan Seitz, owns Calex Engineering and was known to Diez through his support of the SCV Sheriff’s Station — was badly beaten outside of The Break Room on Nov. 28, 2024, after he was antagonized by two deputies.
Both sides have said security footage of the incident clears their client and implicates the other side.
An attorney for the defendants described Parker Seitz as the antagonist in the incident.
“After an initial dismissal in late 2025 (with limited leave to amend), the plaintiff filed a first amended complaint — only for Judge Klausner to rule again that the claims failed as a matter of law,” according to an emailed statement from Jason Tokoro, the attorney for Diez and Los Angeles County.
“This second and final dismissal ends the federal case without further opportunity for revision, representing a complete vindication for the county and Sheriff’s Department on these serious accusations,” Tokoro wrote. “From the outset, the plaintiff’s allegations were based on speculation and conclusory assertions rather than facts.”
After the beating, the lawsuit alleged, Diez and another deputy engaged in behavior intended to “chill” or silence the plaintiffs. Klausner said the plaintiffs failed to prove any such conduct or threatening behavior.
Seitz’s attorney, Josh Stambaugh of Frost LLP, said he planned “continue to seek justice for our client,” in a statement emailed Monday, and he looks forward to presenting his case to a jury.
“We are considering our appeal rights regarding the federal court’s decision, but we intend to refile all remaining state law claims in Los Angeles County Superior Court, where we believe Mr. Seitz will receive the outcome he deserves. Mr. Seitz and his family, as we have previously stated, are longtime supporters of law enforcement, and remain so, but they expect accountability for the assault and the events that followed.”






