CBP approves 5M travel applications for World Cup 

World News
Share
Tweet
Email

By Naveen Athrappully 
Contributing Writer 

More than 5 million applications to visit the United States to watch FIFA World Cup 2026 games have so far been approved, Customs and Border Protection said in a Monday statement. 

Between Oct. 1, 2025, and April 30, 2026, CBP received more than 5.9 million Electronic System for Travel Authorization applications under the Visa Waiver Program, out of which over 5 million have been approved, the agency said. ESTA is an automated system that determines the eligibility of visitors to enter the United States under VWP, which allows 42 nations to travel to America for tourism or business purposes without a visa for stays up to 90 days. 

“The top five nations for approvals were the United Kingdom with over 1.2 million, followed by France (over 570,000), Germany (over 530,000), Japan (over 500,000), and the Republic of Korea (over 320,000),” the agency said. 

In addition, CBP also received more than 1.6 million applications under the Trusted Traveler Programs during this period. These programs “provide expedited processing for preapproved, low-risk travelers at participating airports and land border crossings, helping reduce wait times and creating a more predictable travel experience,” CBP said. 

CBP asked foreign FIFA World Cup fans planning to visit the United States to first confirm whether they need a visa or if they could apply for an ESTA authorization. 

According to a fact sheet issued by CBP and FIFA, visitors must ensure that their passports remain valid for six months past their intended stay unless there is an exemption. If traveling under the VWP program, ESTA approval is mandatory. 

Some of the things travelers must consider are that their medications, while traveling, must not exceed a 90-day supply and have a valid prescription or doctor’s note written in English. While cash can be brought into the United States, people leaving or entering the country must report amounts exceeding $10,000 to the CBP. Foreign visitors are banned from bringing in firearms without proper authorization. Visitors must also declare all food items, failing which a fine of $300 could be applied to first offenders. 

Citing the travel authorizations issued via ESTA and TTP, Customs and Border Protection said in its recent statement that “as the United States continues to prepare for this summer’s tournament, these significant achievements are crucial to ensure a safe, successful and welcoming tournament, which will be the largest and most complex sporting event in world history.” 

The World Cup games are scheduled for June 11-19, jointly hosted by Mexico, Canada and the United States, which is set to host 78 out of the tournament’s 104 matches. FIFA is expecting 5 million to 10 million international fans to visit the United States for the games. 

In the United States, the matches are scheduled across 11 locations — Atlanta; Boston; Dallas; Houston; Kansas City, Missouri; Los Angeles; Miami; New York City-New Jersey; Philadelphia; Seattle; and the San Francisco Bay Area. 

Security, Hotel Bookings 

As for security during the event, the Federal Emergency Management Agency said in a May 6 statement that it was “actively coordinating” with local, state, federal and private sector partners to ensure safety during the World Cup games. 

FEMA said it has invested almost $900 million to help host cities protect visitors and residents. 

“This will be the largest sporting event in the world, and we need our private sector and state and local partners every step of the way, from the planning stages which began over a year ago to after the final match in New Jersey on July 19,” said Andrew Giuliani, executive director of the White House Task Force. 

Meanwhile, the U.S. hospitality sector is not seeing booking numbers at the expected levels. A May 4 survey from the American Hotel & Lodging Association said that nearly 80% of hoteliers in the 11 U.S. host cities said bookings are tracking lower than their original forecasts. 

Kansas City was the most affected host site, with bookings even below what is typically expected for June or July. Miami and Atlanta were the only exceptions, seeing solid bookings. 

Rosanna Maietta, CEO of the association, said that while demand has softened, there is still “meaningful opportunity ahead.” 

To fully realize the potential of the games, the United States and FIFA must ensure a “welcoming and seamless experience for international travelers,” Maietta said. “That means avoiding unnecessary cost increases on visas and transportation to and from the games, and discouraging local jurisdictions from adding last-minute tax hikes that hurt the games and consumers.” 

Related To This Story

Latest NEWS