On Business & Life: How to build better managers
By Ken Keller, Signal Contributor
Saturday, April 29th, 2017

Papa John’s Pizza has a saying that they use in their marketing: Better Ingredients, Better Pizza.

Chances are, you aren’t in the pizza business. You’re in the business of creating and developing prospects, building client relationships, and your employees to deliver a product or service at a profit.

The most important person at Papa John’s isn’t the company’s founder, John Schnatter. Nor are you the most important person in your company.

Your managers are. The strategies you approve are meaningless until your managers execute them, ideally to the benefit of your paying clients and your bottom line.

The goal of every manager, whether a machine shop production supervisor in an industrial center, general manager of a restaurant, or CEO of a local non-profit, is to find, hire and retain the best people possible to work in the organization.

A manager’s role changes once an employee is successfully brought onboard and on the job.  The manager should allow the employee to do their job, set clear expectations, provide necessary resources, monitor individual performance, and make changes as needed to maximize results.

Research from The Gallup Organization suggests that the single most important determinant of individual job performance is a person’s relationship with his or her immediate manager.

If you want a better company, defined as more profitable and productive, you should first assess your management team.

Can your current managers get better? With a hot economy and a low unemployment rate, now is the time to be working to retain your best employees. People don’t quit their employer; they leave because of their manager.

Let me share seven ways managers can become more effective and valuable to those they supervise and those they report to.

1. Work with every direct report. Don’t ignore anyone. Spend more coaching your best people simply because they can benefit from that kind of guidance.
Spend time counseling the rest on how they can improve. Put action plans into place for each and hold them accountable for meeting deadlines.

2. Learn each direct report’s strengths. When people use their strengths, they feel more competent and that they’re making a contribution. Engaged employees require fewer management resources.

3. Don’t duck discipline. Managers have a responsibility to enforce company policy. That means you must discipline people who violate standards, policies and procedures. When someone operates outside of what has been established, the manager needs to call the employee on that specific issue as soon as possible.

4. Overcommunicate. Every company has a disease, and the symptoms often surface through whining, complaining, denial and indignation. The disease is NETMA, which means No one Ever Tells Me Anything. Every important message, deadline and event must be repeated, over and over again, just in case someone has the disease on any given day.

5. Know your limits. Too often, people are promoted to a position to manage others because they are technically the best. Horror stories abound of the top-selling sales person who becomes the worst possible sales manager, or the best engineer who gets promoted to manager and fails miserably. Technical skills are very different from management skills. Managing is all about getting work done through the efforts of others instead of personally doing it.

6. You’re the bridge. Management is the bridge between a company’s top leadership and those doing the actual tasks required for the company to serve its clients. A manager must understand the larger picture of what’s happening on a strategic level, and be able to translate that into tactical action steps down the line. The manager, more than anyone else, needs to be clear when communicating, keeping in mind that every employee has a WIIFM mindset: What’s In It for Me?

7. Routinely reappraise. Regularly meet with each employee and ask six important questions. Do you know what’s expected of you at work? Do you have the materials and equipment you need to do your work right? Do you have the chance to do what you do best every day at work? In the past week, have you received recognition or praise for doing good work? Do I, as your manager, or someone else here at work, seem to care about you as a person? Is there someone at work who encourages your development? The answers are a mini-performance appraisal for manager and employee.

The next few years will be brutal for small and midsize businesses. It will be an employee’s market. If you want to keep your best employees, now is the time to strengthen your management skills, and those of every manager at your company. Otherwise, don’t be surprised when your best people get poached.

Ken Keller is a syndicated business columnist focused on the leadership needs of small and midsize closely held companies. Contact him at KenKeller@SBCglobal.net. Keller’s column reflects his own views and not necessarily those of this media outlet.

About the author

Ken Keller

Ken Keller, Signal Contributor

Upcoming Events

Jan
12
Fri
all-day Domes – Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library
Domes – Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library
Jan 12 – May 11 all-day
Domes - Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Local resident Naomi Young, is the artist featured in the latest exhibit at the Old Town Newhall Library. The exhibit features original paintings and multimedia by Young, an artist born and raised in Jerusalem, Israel,[...]
Feb
1
Thu
all-day “The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarit... @ Valencia Library
“The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarit... @ Valencia Library
Feb 1 – Jun 1 all-day
“The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarita,” Art Exhibit @ Valencia Library  | Santa Clarita | California | United States
“THE GOLDEN OAKS OF SANTA CLARITA” ART EXHIBIT BY BRAD SERGI ON DISPLAY AT THE VALENCIA LIBRARY Library hours: Mon-Thu 10 a.m. – 9 p.m., Fri 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., Sat 10 a.m. – 5[...]
Feb
14
Wed
all-day Tickets Available Now for 41st A... @ Dodger Stadium
Tickets Available Now for 41st A... @ Dodger Stadium
Feb 14 – May 12 all-day
Tickets Available Now for 41st Annual SCV Dodger Day @ Dodger Stadium | Los Angeles | California | United States
SANTA CLARITA DODGER DAY TICKETS ON SALE NOW! Tickets Start at $25 and Benefit Local Schools and Non-Profits It’s time to step up to the plate! The Santa Clarita City Council invites residents to purchase[...]
Apr
19
Thu
all-day Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival Co... @ Event Locations Vary
Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival Co... @ Event Locations Vary
Apr 19 – Apr 22 all-day
BUY YOUR TICKETS NOW FOR COWBOY FESTIVAL CONCERTS – Locations, Times & Prices Vary 25th Annual Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival offers ticketed performances and special events Get ready for some toe-tapping, two-stepping, guitar-picking musical performances![...]
Apr
20
Fri
Apr 20 – Apr 23 all-day
7:00 pm Hart High School Presents ‘Bye, ... @ Hart High school Auditorium
Hart High School Presents ‘Bye, ... @ Hart High school Auditorium
Apr 20 @ 7:00 pm
Hart High School Presents 'Bye, Bye Birdie' @ Hart High school Auditorium | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Spring Musical Coming April 2018! Hart High Theatre is proud to present Bye Bye Birdie! April 19, 20, 27 & 28 @ 7pm April 28 & 29 @ 1pm When the draft selects rock star[...]
Apr
21
Sat
Apr 21 – Apr 24 all-day
10:00 am Astronomy Day @ Valencia Library
Astronomy Day @ Valencia Library
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 10:00 pm
The Local Group Astronomy Club and The Santa Clarita Public Library present our free annual Astronomy Day Celebration. We will be at the Valencia branch of the Santa Clarita Public Library from 10am to 3pm.[...]
10:00 am Resource Parents Needed to Foste... @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222
Resource Parents Needed to Foste... @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Resource Parents Needed to Foster or Foster-Adopt a Child @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222 | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Adoption is a meaningful way for individuals and couples to fulfill their dream of parenting.  There are approximately 64,000 children in foster care in California.  Los Angeles County’s foster care population exceeds 21,000 children with[...]
10:00 am The City of Lancaster’s 27th Ann... @ Sgt. Steve Owen Memorial Park
The City of Lancaster’s 27th Ann... @ Sgt. Steve Owen Memorial Park
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
The City of Lancaster’s 27th Annual California Poppy Festival, Sat & Sun @ Sgt. Steve Owen Memorial Park | Lancaster | California | United States
On April 21 and 22, the City of Lancaster will host the 27th annual California Poppy Festival™ at Sgt. Steve Owen Memorial Park (43063 10th Street West). Drawing more than 40,000 attendees and spanning 35[...]