Relay For Life Makes Dreams Come True
Photo courtesy of Gerry DeGuzman
By Signal Contributor
Wednesday, March 28th, 2018

By Mary Petersen, Santa Clarita Contributor

Walt Disney said, “All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.”  His inspiring quote launches the Disney-inspired theme of this year’s SCV Relay For Life—“The Most Magical Relay on Earth.”  Relay For Life is the American Cancer Society’s largest fundraiser, and preparations in Santa Clarita are now in full throttle. This year marks the 20th anniversary of the SCV unit’s participation in Relay, and it is hosting the event on May 19 at Central Park located at 27150 Bouquet Canyon Road, Santa Clarita, CA 91350.

Relay For Life is a team fundraising event in which alternate members of a team walk continuously around a designated track for 24 hours to raise money for cancer research, education, and support.  Each team sets up a themed campsite which includes decorations and may include raffles, products or services for a donation. This year’s event will begin at 9 a.m. with an opening ceremony to welcome participants and then a survivors’ lap around the track to honor cancer survivors who are cheered on by family and friends. Throughout the day, participants can socialize or take part in games and activities when they’re not walking. Community members are welcome to participate even if they have not joined a team, and there is no charge to attend.

This year the staff has planned a full day’s entertainment featuring classic rock, country, and 80s cover bands; solo artists; a youth theater group performing Disney songs; and DJ Greg Barbacovi who will emcee the event. Also featured will be Kid’s Kamp with crafts and games for children. The evening will bring the most touching aspect of the event, the Luminaria ceremony. Hundreds of Luminaria bags which have been purchased to honor or commemorate loved ones who have dealt with cancer are lined around the track. After sunset, participants walk a lap illuminated by the bags which reflect their love and support.

Last year, the SCV Relay event raised over $335,000 for the American Cancer Society, and this year the organization’s goal is $400,000. Last year 105 teams participated. This year, the goal is 115 teams. Don’t be left out! It’s not too late to join a team or start a team.  Imagine the creative fundraising ideas—The Little Mermaid or Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland or Mickey Mouse, princesses and pirates, cars and lions. Magical Kingdom adventures abound.

Peter Pan invited us to “think of the happiest things. It’s the same as having wings.” Make May 19 our own little corner of the happiest place on earth and attend Relay For Life. Be a sponsor, make a donation, or join a team. For more information, visit www.Facebook.com/SCVRelay or www.SCVRelay.org. You can also call the SCV ACS office at 661-298-0886 option 3 for more information. Fairy tales do come true. To infinity and beyond!

Mary Petersen is an English Instructor, longtime SCV resident, and two-time breast cancer survivor.

About the author

Signal Contributor

Signal Contributor

Photo courtesy of Gerry DeGuzman

Relay For Life Makes Dreams Come True

Upcoming Events

Jan
12
Fri
all-day Domes – Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library
Domes – Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library
Jan 12 – May 11 all-day
Domes - Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Local resident Naomi Young, is the artist featured in the latest exhibit at the Old Town Newhall Library. The exhibit features original paintings and multimedia by Young, an artist born and raised in Jerusalem, Israel,[...]
Feb
1
Thu
all-day “The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarit... @ Valencia Library
“The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarit... @ Valencia Library
Feb 1 – Jun 1 all-day
“The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarita,” Art Exhibit @ Valencia Library  | Santa Clarita | California | United States
“THE GOLDEN OAKS OF SANTA CLARITA” ART EXHIBIT BY BRAD SERGI ON DISPLAY AT THE VALENCIA LIBRARY Library hours: Mon-Thu 10 a.m. – 9 p.m., Fri 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., Sat 10 a.m. – 5[...]
Feb
14
Wed
all-day Tickets Available Now for 41st A... @ Dodger Stadium
Tickets Available Now for 41st A... @ Dodger Stadium
Feb 14 – May 12 all-day
Tickets Available Now for 41st Annual SCV Dodger Day @ Dodger Stadium | Los Angeles | California | United States
SANTA CLARITA DODGER DAY TICKETS ON SALE NOW! Tickets Start at $25 and Benefit Local Schools and Non-Profits It’s time to step up to the plate! The Santa Clarita City Council invites residents to purchase[...]
Apr
19
Thu
all-day Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival Co... @ Event Locations Vary
Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival Co... @ Event Locations Vary
Apr 19 – Apr 22 all-day
BUY YOUR TICKETS NOW FOR COWBOY FESTIVAL CONCERTS – Locations, Times & Prices Vary 25th Annual Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival offers ticketed performances and special events Get ready for some toe-tapping, two-stepping, guitar-picking musical performances![...]
Apr
20
Fri
Apr 20 – Apr 23 all-day
7:00 pm Hart High School Presents ‘Bye, ... @ Hart High school Auditorium
Hart High School Presents ‘Bye, ... @ Hart High school Auditorium
Apr 20 @ 7:00 pm
Hart High School Presents 'Bye, Bye Birdie' @ Hart High school Auditorium | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Spring Musical Coming April 2018! Hart High Theatre is proud to present Bye Bye Birdie! April 19, 20, 27 & 28 @ 7pm April 28 & 29 @ 1pm When the draft selects rock star[...]
Apr
21
Sat
Apr 21 – Apr 24 all-day
10:00 am Astronomy Day @ Valencia Library
Astronomy Day @ Valencia Library
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 10:00 pm
The Local Group Astronomy Club and The Santa Clarita Public Library present our free annual Astronomy Day Celebration. We will be at the Valencia branch of the Santa Clarita Public Library from 10am to 3pm.[...]
10:00 am Resource Parents Needed to Foste... @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222
Resource Parents Needed to Foste... @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Resource Parents Needed to Foster or Foster-Adopt a Child @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222 | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Adoption is a meaningful way for individuals and couples to fulfill their dream of parenting.  There are approximately 64,000 children in foster care in California.  Los Angeles County’s foster care population exceeds 21,000 children with[...]
10:00 am The City of Lancaster’s 27th Ann... @ Sgt. Steve Owen Memorial Park
The City of Lancaster’s 27th Ann... @ Sgt. Steve Owen Memorial Park
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
The City of Lancaster’s 27th Annual California Poppy Festival, Sat & Sun @ Sgt. Steve Owen Memorial Park | Lancaster | California | United States
On April 21 and 22, the City of Lancaster will host the 27th annual California Poppy Festival™ at Sgt. Steve Owen Memorial Park (43063 10th Street West). Drawing more than 40,000 attendees and spanning 35[...]