Ken Keller: I’m in need of some inspiration
By Ken Keller, Signal Contributor
Saturday, October 15th, 2016

Dear Ken Keller,

I’ve held off writing to you because my situation is different from other owners that have written to you. My business is struggling and I am struggling. Sales are down, cash flow is very tight and I don’t see a better future right now.

I’m not giving up, but can use some help. I’ve generated a lot of perspiration but can really use some inspiration to get out of this situation. – Gregg S.

Dear Gregg:

Whenever a person gets up from being knocked down, they are a winner. The individuals who identify and face their problems then work to address them make progress. You’re two steps down the path to being in a better place.

Every business owner has been right where you are, and I venture that many more are in your situation than would admit it. That puts you in good company. You are not alone in your despair.

Owners tend to focus on what isn’t working and downplay what is, so my first advice would be for you to take inventory of what is working. While you indicate that some things aren’t going well, you should count your blessings for what you have going in your favor. There is more there than you think.

The second piece of advice I suggest is that you take time to think. You need to clear your head and do your best to rid yourself of negative emotions. Whatever failures or shortcomings you see in your business, or in yourself, consider them short-term; because they can be.

Third, you need to take stock of where you are, but more importantly, where you are going. The other day I heard a business owner state his goal to “double company revenue in five years,” which is all the things a goal (or vision) should be: specific, measurable, attainable and time-bound.

But you won’t get the clarity you need without taking time to think about your future state and to take stock of things.

You mention that sales are down and cash flow is tight. Both of these are lagging indicators in your business.

My fourth piece of advice is to take a long hard look at your sales funnel. Focus should be specifically on how you are prospecting and what you are doing (and not doing) about filling the pipeline.

This is one area where you should personally become more active. Meaning, you need to reach out to existing clients and start devoting more time to creating new clients. Very few people like doing these things but they must be done in any business seeking a turnaround. Think of it as lifting weights; the more you do it, the easier it becomes.

Fifth, I suggest you seek some outside input on an ongoing basis. Your local Small Business Development Center (sbdc.gov) can provide more specific advice for you and I think you will find it both therapeutic and well worth your time.

Finally, while being an owner can be a lonely occupation, you have friends and family to lean on and to seek support from. Reach out to your connections if you need help. People will help you if you ask them to support you.

Ken Keller is a syndicated business columnist focused on the leadership needs of small and midsize closely held companies. Contact him at KenKeller@SBCglobal.net. Keller’s column reflects his own views and not necessarily those of this media outlet.

About the author

Ken Keller

Ken Keller, Signal Contributor

Dear Ken Keller,

Dear Gregg:

Upcoming Events

Jan
12
Fri
all-day Domes – Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library
Domes – Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library
Jan 12 – May 11 all-day
Domes - Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Local resident Naomi Young, is the artist featured in the latest exhibit at the Old Town Newhall Library. The exhibit features original paintings and multimedia by Young, an artist born and raised in Jerusalem, Israel,[...]
Feb
1
Thu
all-day “The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarit... @ Valencia Library
“The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarit... @ Valencia Library
Feb 1 – Jun 1 all-day
“The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarita,” Art Exhibit @ Valencia Library  | Santa Clarita | California | United States
“THE GOLDEN OAKS OF SANTA CLARITA” ART EXHIBIT BY BRAD SERGI ON DISPLAY AT THE VALENCIA LIBRARY Library hours: Mon-Thu 10 a.m. – 9 p.m., Fri 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., Sat 10 a.m. – 5[...]
Feb
14
Wed
all-day Tickets Available Now for 41st A... @ Dodger Stadium
Tickets Available Now for 41st A... @ Dodger Stadium
Feb 14 – May 12 all-day
Tickets Available Now for 41st Annual SCV Dodger Day @ Dodger Stadium | Los Angeles | California | United States
SANTA CLARITA DODGER DAY TICKETS ON SALE NOW! Tickets Start at $25 and Benefit Local Schools and Non-Profits It’s time to step up to the plate! The Santa Clarita City Council invites residents to purchase[...]
Apr
19
Thu
all-day Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival Co... @ Event Locations Vary
Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival Co... @ Event Locations Vary
Apr 19 – Apr 22 all-day
BUY YOUR TICKETS NOW FOR COWBOY FESTIVAL CONCERTS – Locations, Times & Prices Vary 25th Annual Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival offers ticketed performances and special events Get ready for some toe-tapping, two-stepping, guitar-picking musical performances![...]
7:00 pm Hart High School Presents ‘Bye, ... @ Hart High school Auditorium
Hart High School Presents ‘Bye, ... @ Hart High school Auditorium
Apr 19 @ 7:00 pm
Hart High School Presents 'Bye, Bye Birdie' @ Hart High school Auditorium | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Spring Musical Coming April 2018! Hart High Theatre is proud to present Bye Bye Birdie! April 19, 20, 27 & 28 @ 7pm April 28 & 29 @ 1pm When the draft selects rock star[...]
Apr
20
Fri
Apr 20 – Apr 23 all-day
Apr 20 @ 7:00 pm
Apr
21
Sat
Apr 21 – Apr 24 all-day
10:00 am Astronomy Day @ Valencia Library
Astronomy Day @ Valencia Library
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 10:00 pm
The Local Group Astronomy Club and The Santa Clarita Public Library present our free annual Astronomy Day Celebration. We will be at the Valencia branch of the Santa Clarita Public Library from 10am to 3pm.[...]
10:00 am Resource Parents Needed to Foste... @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222
Resource Parents Needed to Foste... @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Resource Parents Needed to Foster or Foster-Adopt a Child @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222 | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Adoption is a meaningful way for individuals and couples to fulfill their dream of parenting.  There are approximately 64,000 children in foster care in California.  Los Angeles County’s foster care population exceeds 21,000 children with[...]