Julie Olsen will be officially sworn in to the Saugus Union School District Governing Board Tuesday evening, along with fellow board members David Powell and Christopher Trunkey.
Olsen won the November election in a close race against Bruce Fox, receiving 55.72 percent of the vote, or 2,998 votes. She is replacing retiring board member Rose Koscielny after her 21 years of service to the district.
The board’s newest members will be sworn in during the meeting’s open session at 7:30 p.m.
“I’m really excited,” Olsen said. “I’ll be sworn in as well as David Powell and Christopher Trunkey.”
During the organizational meeting, the board will also be electing its president and clerk.
The governing board will also select a representative to the SELPA Board Liaison Committee, a representative to Los Angeles County School Trustees Association (LACSTA), two representatives to serve as members of the Governing Board of Saugus/Hart School Facilities Financing Authority and one representative to vote in electing members to County Committee on School District Organization.
Several site improvements and construction projects are also set for approval during the regular meeting.
The improvements include repairing and filling cracks in the kindergarten and main play yards at James Foster Elementary School and Mountainview Elementary School.
Mountainview Elementary School will also undergo concrete and drainage improvements to fix the mud and drainage issues at the grass area in front of its two-story building.
Additional improvements include the removal and replacement of the sidewalk next to the parking lot at Charles Helmers Elementary, the addition of cement pavers to a planter in front of Rosedell Elementary School and the installation of new parking lot gates at Plum Canyon Elementary School.
Additional Agenda Items:
- Agreement to contract with Rachlin Partners for architectural services for single point of entry projects at Tesoro del Valle Elementary School, Bridgeport Elementary School and North Park Elementary School
- Approval of the 2016-2017 Single School Plan for Student Achievement at all Saugus District schools
- Approval of the California State Preschool Program 2016-2017 Handbook
- First reading of board policy and administrative regulation Business and Noninstructional-Federal Grant Funds; Business and Noninstructional-Sale and Disposal of Books, Equipment and Supplies; Personnel-Ergonomics; and Personnel-Certification
- Second reading of board policy and administrative regulation Instruction-Education for foster Youth
- Second reading and adoption of board policy and administrative regulation Instruction-Education for Homeless Children; Personnel-Employee Safety
- Third reading and adoption of board policy and administrative regulation Personnel-Lactation Accommodation
On Twitter as @_ChristinaCox_