Good enough simply isn’t acceptable here anymore
By Ken Keller, Signal Contributor
Monday, July 17th, 2017

A client approached me about helping him get his company ready to sell.

He was getting up in the years, and figured he had between three and five years left before his passion would be gone. He had built a good size manufacturing company.

I created a plan making sure that all the bases were covered, so that when he walked out the door, the business could run without him.

He had another priority which he repeated to me many times: “Let’s be sure and take care of the best people.”

He asked me to work with the production manager, finance director, human resources director and the head of sales and marketing. These four made up his leadership team.

We were going to focus on people, processes and profits.

My belief was that you had to trim the tree so it could grow deeper roots and yield more fruit, so we started with the people side first.

We conducted candid evaluations of everyone (not exactly a 360 process but close to it) and placed people into one of three groups.

The first group consisted of individuals that were deemed essential for future company success. These were the “A” players.

The second group consisted of employees who were good contributors but needed education, training and individual coaching to make stronger contributions to future company success. These were our “B” players.

There were some in this group that wouldn’t make the three year timeframe we had in mind but we felt we owed them the opportunity to improve.

The final group of “C” players and below included all manner of malcontents. These included people who thought they’d be on the payroll forever because of their last name or marriage. There were some stray dogs (friends of the family, unqualified neighbors and people who had been hired because they were good looking but couldn’t do anything else but look good), and a few who were simply unproductive, lazy and entitled.

Because we wanted to treat all employees with dignity and respect, we did our best to keep and retain the “A” and “B” players while we dealt with the third group.

The third group got eliminated over the course of a month.

It probably would have been less painful to those having to have the difficult conversations to do a mass termination, but we took our time because we wanted to send a message that we were doing things right for the future of the company.

We did two terminations each morning and let go two more employees each afternoon.

That’s a lot of firings. It was amazing how highly productive people got once word got out that people were being let go.

People would show up at work not knowing if that day was going to be their last day. It was one heck of a motivator.

But several unintended consequences came out of this exercise, despite the pain.

We escaped the trap of overworking and under-appreciating the best employees. Up to this time, the major reward for being an “A” player was (surprise!) even more work.

So we no longer assigned “A” players the more difficult and unglamorous assignments because they were the only people we could depend on to do them. We gave these tasks to “B” players as growth opportunities.

Second, we took those with the most ability, with the most enthusiasm and with the most passion, our “A” players, and gave them critical, challenging projects that would determine the future of the company.

Third, the company’s recruiting efforts became a lot easier. The “A” players became the best headhunters the company could have ever had, and word of mouth brought in many fine candidates.

The company’s former image as a place that rewarded laziness and limited ambition vanished, replaced with a reputation as a company where great employees were wanted and rewarded.

“Good enough simply isn’t acceptable here anymore” became the mantra of this company, and it can be the mantra you might want to consider adopting if you want a better business.

Ken Keller is an executive coach who works with small and midsize B2B company owners, CEOs and entrepreneurs. He facilitates formal top executive peer groups for business expansion, including revenue growth, improved internal efficiencies, and greater profitability. Please contact him at Ken.Keller@StrategicAdvisoryBoards.com. Keller’s column reflects his own views and not necessarily those of this media outlet.

About the author

Ken Keller

Ken Keller, Signal Contributor

Upcoming Events

Jan
12
Fri
all-day Domes – Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library
Domes – Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library
Jan 12 – May 11 all-day
Domes - Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Local resident Naomi Young, is the artist featured in the latest exhibit at the Old Town Newhall Library. The exhibit features original paintings and multimedia by Young, an artist born and raised in Jerusalem, Israel,[...]
Feb
1
Thu
all-day “The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarit... @ Valencia Library
“The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarit... @ Valencia Library
Feb 1 – Jun 1 all-day
“The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarita,” Art Exhibit @ Valencia Library  | Santa Clarita | California | United States
“THE GOLDEN OAKS OF SANTA CLARITA” ART EXHIBIT BY BRAD SERGI ON DISPLAY AT THE VALENCIA LIBRARY Library hours: Mon-Thu 10 a.m. – 9 p.m., Fri 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., Sat 10 a.m. – 5[...]
Feb
14
Wed
all-day Tickets Available Now for 41st A... @ Dodger Stadium
Tickets Available Now for 41st A... @ Dodger Stadium
Feb 14 – May 12 all-day
Tickets Available Now for 41st Annual SCV Dodger Day @ Dodger Stadium | Los Angeles | California | United States
SANTA CLARITA DODGER DAY TICKETS ON SALE NOW! Tickets Start at $25 and Benefit Local Schools and Non-Profits It’s time to step up to the plate! The Santa Clarita City Council invites residents to purchase[...]
Apr
19
Thu
all-day Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival Co... @ Event Locations Vary
Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival Co... @ Event Locations Vary
Apr 19 – Apr 22 all-day
BUY YOUR TICKETS NOW FOR COWBOY FESTIVAL CONCERTS – Locations, Times & Prices Vary 25th Annual Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival offers ticketed performances and special events Get ready for some toe-tapping, two-stepping, guitar-picking musical performances![...]
Apr
20
Fri
Apr 20 – Apr 23 all-day
7:00 pm Hart High School Presents ‘Bye, ... @ Hart High school Auditorium
Hart High School Presents ‘Bye, ... @ Hart High school Auditorium
Apr 20 @ 7:00 pm
Hart High School Presents 'Bye, Bye Birdie' @ Hart High school Auditorium | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Spring Musical Coming April 2018! Hart High Theatre is proud to present Bye Bye Birdie! April 19, 20, 27 & 28 @ 7pm April 28 & 29 @ 1pm When the draft selects rock star[...]
Apr
21
Sat
Apr 21 – Apr 24 all-day
10:00 am Astronomy Day @ Valencia Library
Astronomy Day @ Valencia Library
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 10:00 pm
The Local Group Astronomy Club and The Santa Clarita Public Library present our free annual Astronomy Day Celebration. We will be at the Valencia branch of the Santa Clarita Public Library from 10am to 3pm.[...]
10:00 am Resource Parents Needed to Foste... @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222
Resource Parents Needed to Foste... @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Resource Parents Needed to Foster or Foster-Adopt a Child @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222 | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Adoption is a meaningful way for individuals and couples to fulfill their dream of parenting.  There are approximately 64,000 children in foster care in California.  Los Angeles County’s foster care population exceeds 21,000 children with[...]
10:00 am The City of Lancaster’s 27th Ann... @ Sgt. Steve Owen Memorial Park
The City of Lancaster’s 27th Ann... @ Sgt. Steve Owen Memorial Park
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
The City of Lancaster’s 27th Annual California Poppy Festival, Sat & Sun @ Sgt. Steve Owen Memorial Park | Lancaster | California | United States
On April 21 and 22, the City of Lancaster will host the 27th annual California Poppy Festival™ at Sgt. Steve Owen Memorial Park (43063 10th Street West). Drawing more than 40,000 attendees and spanning 35[...]