Tears of Gratitude
Artwork by Saugus resident and artist Naomi Young. Courtesy photo
By Signal Contributor
Wednesday, July 12th, 2017

By Naomi Young, Saugus Community Contributor

We were introduced and shook hands, “I’ve seen you before,” I said, “No I’ve never been here before,” she answered me smiling. She has one of those familiar faces, the kind that you’re so sure you’ve seen before.

Dina, a mother of seven and a rebbetzin (a rabbi’s wife) came to tell our community how Yitzy, her husband of eighteen years was her first and only love. She knew she was going to marry him from the first time she saw him. She liked his energy that could fill up a room and his smiling eyes. Yitzy is a rabbi, a teacher, a chaplain, a counselor, a dancer and a musician. Whatever he does and wherever he goes, he knows how to communicate with people on their level, he just has that talent.

One day Yitzy told Dina that his tongue felt heavy, later it was his legs and soon it was his left arm too. By his fortieth birthday Yitzy was struck by ALS. But it did not stop him. As long as his pointer was working he could operate his wheelchair and a computer. He refused to cancel his 41st birthday with a celebration with many of his friends.

Still with a smile on her face Dina tells us about their difficult times, yet how somehow, Yitzy continues to be a lightning rod for people. Visitors would go in his room intending to make him feel better and came out feeling energized and inspired by him.

Today he has a special computer that can read the movements of his eyes so he can continue teaching and writing music, thus keeping his song alive.

“I’ve been promoted,” he told Dena. “I used to be a Rabbi of a few hundred people and now I touch thousands.”

One hundred people visit Yitzy in his room every week studying and reading from the Torah with him. His body is pretty much gone but not his soul. He has that spark in his eyes that is contagious. It lights a spark of hope and faith, love and kindness in others. Somehow the world is a more beautiful place with these two people in it. Still with a wise smile, Dina tells us to overcome our obstacles just like in the story of Passover when we came out of Egypt (mitzrayim is sharing the same root word in Hebrew as metzarim- limitations), how dealing  with our own obstacles and overcoming limitations leads to finding our freedom. “We all have to go through pain”, she says “but it’s our suffering that we can turn into a purpose.” And purpose she found, speaking in public, sharing their story in spite of her stage freight.

It’s only when she hit rock bottom that she discovered her inner strength, that she could teach herself to be a strong role model for her children. She decided to confront her fears in ways that she never thought she could. And she persevered and came to share her videos of daring adventures with Yitzy, bringing the outside world to his small room.

“May the tears you shed are tears of gratitude” she says lowering her eyes. “I only regret that I did not feel as grateful a week ago when it was better than today, and where would I be without my faith in G-d? Dina wants to write a book called: “ALS = A Love Story.” Theirs is an inspiring story of love and sharing the light. Some people touch our lives just by being there. Izzy’s light is shinning brighter than ever.

About the author

Signal Contributor

Signal Contributor

Tears of Gratitude

Upcoming Events

Jan
12
Fri
all-day Domes – Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library
Domes – Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library
Jan 12 – May 11 all-day
Domes - Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Local resident Naomi Young, is the artist featured in the latest exhibit at the Old Town Newhall Library. The exhibit features original paintings and multimedia by Young, an artist born and raised in Jerusalem, Israel,[...]
Feb
1
Thu
all-day “The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarit... @ Valencia Library
“The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarit... @ Valencia Library
Feb 1 – Jun 1 all-day
“The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarita,” Art Exhibit @ Valencia Library  | Santa Clarita | California | United States
“THE GOLDEN OAKS OF SANTA CLARITA” ART EXHIBIT BY BRAD SERGI ON DISPLAY AT THE VALENCIA LIBRARY Library hours: Mon-Thu 10 a.m. – 9 p.m., Fri 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., Sat 10 a.m. – 5[...]
Feb
14
Wed
all-day Tickets Available Now for 41st A... @ Dodger Stadium
Tickets Available Now for 41st A... @ Dodger Stadium
Feb 14 – May 12 all-day
Tickets Available Now for 41st Annual SCV Dodger Day @ Dodger Stadium | Los Angeles | California | United States
SANTA CLARITA DODGER DAY TICKETS ON SALE NOW! Tickets Start at $25 and Benefit Local Schools and Non-Profits It’s time to step up to the plate! The Santa Clarita City Council invites residents to purchase[...]
Apr
19
Thu
all-day Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival Co... @ Event Locations Vary
Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival Co... @ Event Locations Vary
Apr 19 – Apr 22 all-day
BUY YOUR TICKETS NOW FOR COWBOY FESTIVAL CONCERTS – Locations, Times & Prices Vary 25th Annual Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival offers ticketed performances and special events Get ready for some toe-tapping, two-stepping, guitar-picking musical performances![...]
7:00 pm Hart High School Presents ‘Bye, ... @ Hart High school Auditorium
Hart High School Presents ‘Bye, ... @ Hart High school Auditorium
Apr 19 @ 7:00 pm
Hart High School Presents 'Bye, Bye Birdie' @ Hart High school Auditorium | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Spring Musical Coming April 2018! Hart High Theatre is proud to present Bye Bye Birdie! April 19, 20, 27 & 28 @ 7pm April 28 & 29 @ 1pm When the draft selects rock star[...]
Apr
20
Fri
Apr 20 – Apr 23 all-day
Apr 20 @ 7:00 pm
Apr
21
Sat
Apr 21 – Apr 24 all-day
10:00 am Astronomy Day @ Valencia Library
Astronomy Day @ Valencia Library
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 10:00 pm
The Local Group Astronomy Club and The Santa Clarita Public Library present our free annual Astronomy Day Celebration. We will be at the Valencia branch of the Santa Clarita Public Library from 10am to 3pm.[...]
10:00 am Resource Parents Needed to Foste... @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222
Resource Parents Needed to Foste... @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Resource Parents Needed to Foster or Foster-Adopt a Child @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222 | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Adoption is a meaningful way for individuals and couples to fulfill their dream of parenting.  There are approximately 64,000 children in foster care in California.  Los Angeles County’s foster care population exceeds 21,000 children with[...]