By Mayor Pro Tem Laurene Weste
There is nothing more serene than an early morning walk or jog through our beautiful paseos and extensive trail system. As a City that is consistently recognized as one of the healthiest in the state, Santa Clarita is made up of active residents that love to get out and exercise! Each fall the City organizes the Santa Clarita Marathon, and the 22nd running will take place on Sunday, November 5.
If you have never been to the Santa Clarita Marathon, as either a participant or spectator, I want to invite you to check out the event and see what you’ve been missing. There is still time to register for one of the many racing options, while spectators can scope out a spot along the course or at the finish line to cheer on our runners.
For those still on the fence about running, attending or volunteering during race weekend, here are my 26.2 reasons to love the Santa Clarita Marathon!
- You can get health and wellness tips from industry professionals at our Health and Fitness Expo, presented by Boston Scientific, on November 4 from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the Westfield Valencia Town Center.
- Runners will get to experience our beautiful paseos and get a unique view of Santa Clarita on the way to the finish line.
- The course winds through Valencia, Saugus and Newhall via our beautiful trail system, giving you unrivaled views of Santa Clarita’s natural beauty.
- The marathon is run on a Boston Qualifier course, giving participants the chance to qualify for the prestigious Boston Marathon
- If 26.2 miles is a few too many, you can always sign up for our Half Marathon, 5K or Mayor’s Walk!
- The Kid K gives our youngest runners the opportunity to be healthy and active in a fun run of their very own.
- Want to run with your friends or coworkers? Register as a group and compete against other teams for prizes
- Cheer on the kids! Students in Santa Clarita have been training for the Final Mile Challenge by running a total of 25 miles since the start of the school year. They will complete their journey toward 26.2 miles on race day.
- The weather is expected to be cooler for the race than it has been in recent weeks, which is welcome news for both runners and spectators.
- The flat course maintains a consistent elevation, helping runners achieve a PR (personal record)!
- The Santa Clarita Marathon is part of the California Half and Full Marathon Series, challenging runners to complete multiple races throughout the state for extra medals.
- Multiple spots along the course are designated spectator areas, allowing you to cheer on runners as they go by!
- You’ll know exactly how far you are going because the Half Marathon and Marathon courses are certified by USATF, meaning the distances have been measured multiple times and are accurate.
- You’ll get to run through the beautifully serene Valencia Country Club between miles 2 and 3.
- The course is a journey through key Santa Clarita sights like Bridgeport Community Park and the Saugus Speedway.
- Run for a cause and donate pledges from friends and family to charity.
- Participants will receive a Virtual Race Bag, containing goodies and promos from our race sponsors.
- The always popular Santa Clarita Marathon shirt and finisher’s medal!
- You can check it off your Life Goals List. Running a race is a major accomplishment!
- Finishing a marathon makes you a marathoner for life. Not everyone can say that.
- Watch your fellow residents accomplish their goals and be inspired.
- Get out of your shell and leap into the local running community. You’re guaranteed to meet new friends at the start line!
- Volunteer at the expo or on race day to help make this another memorable event.
- Chat with the Mayor! Our Mayor Cameron Smyth will lead the three-mile Mayor’s Walk – a more casual stroll that lets you connect with other residents.
- Just training for a race strengthens muscles and can help give you more energy for your daily life.
- Celebrate your accomplishment with your family and friends at the official after party at BJ’s Restaurant and Brewhouse.
- 26.2 Seriously, take the time to congratulate yourself, your fellow runners and your supporters because you are amazing!
You can learn more about the Santa Clarita Marathon, presented by Parkway Motorcars, by visiting the race’s website at SCMarathon.org.
Mayor Pro Tem Laurene Weste is a member of the Santa Clarita City Council and can be reached at email@example.com.