A Labor of Love
Girl Scout Troop #382 made over 100 items for the homeless project. Courtesy photo
By Signal Contributor
Wednesday, January 31st, 2018

By Maria Sears, Santa Clarita Contributor

The Blessing Circle praying over the completed shawls. Courtesy photo

The Prayer Shawl Ministry at Valencia United Methodist Church began its mission in 2009 by a group of women who enjoy the art of knitting or crocheting and praying for people.  Our mission is simple: to spread God’s love and bring comfort where ever we can through the work of our hands.

Our shawls are made for men and women who are in need of warmth and comfort as they face some of life’s challenges.  We rarely know who will receive one of our shawls, but as we weave the yarn into a beautiful shawl, we pray into the stitches for healing of body, mind and spirit.

Most of our shawls are taken by someone who lives locally but we know some of them have reached destinations across the world in places as far as Africa, Nicaragua, Afghanistan and England.  We have also sent shawls to those suffering from natural disasters and a few months ago we donated approximately two dozen shawls to the hospitalized victims of the Las Vegas massacre.

Each winter during the Christmas season, we have a special project to make warm hats and scarves for the homeless.  With the help of several dedicated and warm-hearted young ladies from Girl Scout Troop #382 (who made over 100 items) we donated a total of 450 handmade hats and scarves to our local Homeless Shelter and The Midnight Mission in Los Angeles last December.

Our shawls are free of charge and available for anyone in need.  New members are always welcome to join us, no church affiliation is required.  We will provide free crochet lessons to anyone who wants to learn, and we gratefully accept donations of yarn.

For more information on how to obtain a prayer shawl or become a part of this loving ministry, please contact the church office, 661-255-1301, or meet us at Valencia United Methodist Church on the first Tuesday of every month in Room 1 at 7 p.m.

About the author

Signal Contributor

Signal Contributor

A Labor of Love

Upcoming Events

Jan
12
Fri
all-day Domes – Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library
Domes – Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library
Jan 12 – May 11 all-day
Domes - Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Local resident Naomi Young, is the artist featured in the latest exhibit at the Old Town Newhall Library. The exhibit features original paintings and multimedia by Young, an artist born and raised in Jerusalem, Israel,[...]
Feb
1
Thu
all-day “The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarit... @ Valencia Library
“The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarit... @ Valencia Library
Feb 1 – Jun 1 all-day
“The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarita,” Art Exhibit @ Valencia Library  | Santa Clarita | California | United States
“THE GOLDEN OAKS OF SANTA CLARITA” ART EXHIBIT BY BRAD SERGI ON DISPLAY AT THE VALENCIA LIBRARY Library hours: Mon-Thu 10 a.m. – 9 p.m., Fri 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., Sat 10 a.m. – 5[...]
Feb
14
Wed
all-day Tickets Available Now for 41st A... @ Dodger Stadium
Tickets Available Now for 41st A... @ Dodger Stadium
Feb 14 – May 12 all-day
Tickets Available Now for 41st Annual SCV Dodger Day @ Dodger Stadium | Los Angeles | California | United States
SANTA CLARITA DODGER DAY TICKETS ON SALE NOW! Tickets Start at $25 and Benefit Local Schools and Non-Profits It’s time to step up to the plate! The Santa Clarita City Council invites residents to purchase[...]
Apr
19
Thu
all-day Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival Co... @ Event Locations Vary
Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival Co... @ Event Locations Vary
Apr 19 – Apr 22 all-day
BUY YOUR TICKETS NOW FOR COWBOY FESTIVAL CONCERTS – Locations, Times & Prices Vary 25th Annual Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival offers ticketed performances and special events Get ready for some toe-tapping, two-stepping, guitar-picking musical performances![...]
7:00 pm Hart High School Presents ‘Bye, ... @ Hart High school Auditorium
Hart High School Presents ‘Bye, ... @ Hart High school Auditorium
Apr 19 @ 7:00 pm
Hart High School Presents 'Bye, Bye Birdie' @ Hart High school Auditorium | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Spring Musical Coming April 2018! Hart High Theatre is proud to present Bye Bye Birdie! April 19, 20, 27 & 28 @ 7pm April 28 & 29 @ 1pm When the draft selects rock star[...]
Apr
20
Fri
Apr 20 – Apr 23 all-day
Apr 20 @ 7:00 pm
Apr
21
Sat
Apr 21 – Apr 24 all-day
10:00 am Astronomy Day @ Valencia Library
Astronomy Day @ Valencia Library
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 10:00 pm
The Local Group Astronomy Club and The Santa Clarita Public Library present our free annual Astronomy Day Celebration. We will be at the Valencia branch of the Santa Clarita Public Library from 10am to 3pm.[...]
10:00 am Resource Parents Needed to Foste... @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222
Resource Parents Needed to Foste... @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Resource Parents Needed to Foster or Foster-Adopt a Child @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222 | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Adoption is a meaningful way for individuals and couples to fulfill their dream of parenting.  There are approximately 64,000 children in foster care in California.  Los Angeles County’s foster care population exceeds 21,000 children with[...]