Man charged with shooting 2 National Guard members pleads not guilty 

Pirro: National Guard shooting suspect to be charged with 1st-degree murder By Jack Phillips Contributing Writer Charges against the man accused of shooting two National Guard members this week will be upgraded to first-degree murder after one died, U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia Jeanine Pirro said Friday. Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, 20, and Staff Sgt. Andrew Wolfe, 24, were both shot on Wednesday. Beckstrom died a day later, President Donald Trump confirmed during a call with service members on Thanksgiving. Wolfe remains in critical condition as of the publication of this story. Rahmanullah Lakanwal, a 29-year-old Afghan national who had worked with the CIA during the war in Afghanistan, faces a charge of first-degree murder, two counts of assault with intent to kill while armed, and three counts of possession of a firearm during a crime of violence, Pirro said. “There are certainly many more charges to come, but we are upgrading the initial charges of assault to murder in the first degree,” Pirro told Fox News’ “Fox & Friends” program. Officials in the Trump administration, including the president and FBI Director Kash Patel, have described the shooting as a terrorist attack. Attorney General Pam Bondi said this week that federal prosecutors will seek the death penalty in the case. Both Beckstrom and Wolfe were deployed to the nation’s capital with the West Virginia National Guard as part of the Trump administration’s mission there, starting earlier this year. Wolfe is still in “very critical condition,” West Virginia Gov. Patrick Morrisey said in a Friday statement. He confirmed that he ordered flags to be flown at half-staff in recognition of Beckstrom’s passing. “These two West Virginia heroes were serving our country and protecting our nation’s capital when they were maliciously attacked,” Morrisey’s statement added. “Their courage and commitment to duty represent the very best of our state.” The governor added that he is holding the Guard troops’ friends and families in their prayers. Trump said at an address on Thursday that he believes Lakanwal “went cuckoo” or “nuts” before he shot at the soldiers. The president also said that Beckstrom was an “incredible person, outstanding in every single way.” The president said that he would freeze migration from “Third World countries“ after Beckstrom’s death was confirmed. “I will permanently pause migration from all Third World countries to allow the U.S. system to fully recover, terminate all of the millions of Biden illegal admissions ... and remove anyone who is not a net asset to the United States,” he said in a post on Truth Social. The Biden administration initiative for Afghans who worked with U.S. forces brought roughly 76,000 people to the country, many of whom had worked alongside U.S. troops and diplomats as interpreters and translators during the 20-year-long war in the country. It has since faced intense scrutiny from Trump and others over allegations of gaps in the vetting process. Officials from the Department of Homeland Security said on Wednesday that Lakanwal was allowed into the United States under a Biden administration program, Operation Allies Welcome, and confirmed that he had been living in Bellingham, Washington, a city located between Seattle and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. “This program let in thousands of unvetted Afghan nationals including terrorists into our country,” Homeland Security said in a statement. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
(Left) National Guard member Staff Sgt. Andrew Wolfe. (Right) National Guard member Specialist Sarah Beckstrom. Courtesy of U.S. Attorney’s Office.
Share
Tweet
Email

By Jackson Richma
Contributing Writer 

WASHINGTON — The man accused of shooting two National Guard members pleaded not guilty on Tuesday. 

A lawyer for Rahmanullah Lakanwal, 29, entered the plea during a virtual court appearance. Lakanwal appeared from a hospital bed. 

Lakanwal is accused of killing Army Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, 20, and wounding Staff Sgt. Andrew Wolfe, 24, near the White House on Nov. 26. 

Lakanwal, who came to the nation’s capital from Washington state, was ordered to be held without bond. 

“No condition or combination of conditions will reasonably assure the safety of the community,” said D.C. Superior Court Magistrate Judge Renee Raymond. 

“It is fairly clear that he came across the country, 3,000 miles, armed, with a specific purpose in mind,” she added. 

Lakanwal has been charged with first-degree murder, three counts of assault with the intent to kill while armed, and criminal possession of a weapon. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Jan. 14. 

“There are certainly many more charges to come, but we are upgrading the initial charges of assault to murder in the first degree,” said U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia Jeanine Pirro on Fox News’ “Fox & Friends.” 

The Trump administration has called the incident an act of terrorism, and Attorney General Pam Bondi said that prosecutors will seek the death penalty. 

Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem said that Lakanwal had worked with the CIA to hunt down members of the Taliban. 

“We believe he was radicalized since he’s been here in this country,” she said on NBC’s “Meet the Press” on Sunday. “We do believe it was through connections in his home community and state. … Anyone who has information on this needs to know that we will be coming after you, and we will bring you to justice.” 

Noem told ABC News that the Biden administration brought Lakanwal to the United States “and then maybe vetted after that, but not done well based on what the guidelines were put forward by President [Joe] Biden.” 

During a Tuesday Cabinet meeting, President Donald Trump said he wanted “to pay my deepest respects” to the families of Beckstrom and Wolfe. Trump said he spoke to the parents of both guard members. Wolfe’s mother said her son will survive. 

“No doctor thought that,” Trump said, adding, “It would be a miracle.” 

Both victims were from the West Virginia National Guard. 

Gov. Patrick Morrisey said in a Friday statement: “These two West Virginia heroes were serving our country and protecting our nation’s capital when they were maliciously attacked. Their courage and commitment to duty represent the very best of our state.” 

The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

Related To This Story

Latest NEWS