Coaching tips to help a recent grad launch a career
By Ken Keller, Signal Contributor
Saturday, June 17th, 2017

A couple of weeks ago I offered to provide coaching to a young man looking for his first career job after earning two difficult degrees from two top-notch universities.

We’ll call this gentleman Mark. We’ve met a few times and will meet a few more before he lands that job.

So far, we’ve revised Mark’s résumé to get the attention of company recruiters and drafted a compelling cover letter. He is updating his LinkedIn profile page with a professional headshot and is double-checking his social media history to ensure his postings support his written contention that he’s an upstanding student and person.

Further, we’ve identified ten large brand-name companies to target, and Mark is researching them to identify their Southern California operations, as he is not interested in relocating.

Once Mark has those locations, he’ll use LinkedIn to find the names of recruiters at each location with the goal of sending his cover letter and résumé to land an interview.

If he can’t find who he’s looking for on LinkedIn, he’ll pick up the phone and call to get their names and titles.

In addition, he has taken a personal assessment, using Strengths Finder 2.0, and will write a personal mission statement using the model in “The Path” by Laurie Beth Jones.

This young man has a lot to offer an employer but needs the opportunity to prove himself.

Some of Mark’s contemporaries seem to think that if they can’t start out as president of the company, they’ll just wait for the call that says a presidency has opened up. To his credit, that’s not Mark; he doesn’t care what his first title is. He would take a janitorial job at one of his target companies, though he’d be highly overqualified.

I know that at least one recruiter, and possibly more, will read his letter and résumé, and email or call him for an interview. Someone will see the potential in this young man.

As I explained to Mark, in corporate America, everyone is afraid of making a mistake when hiring. Hence the entire process is slow, cumbersome and just plain rude to job seekers.

Internal recruiters don’t really want to talk to people; they want you to email your résumé so they can quickly weed applicants out.

These same recruiters don’t sit long enough with hiring managers to identify the real qualifications of the open position. Too often, they fail to ask deeper questions to uncover intangibles the hiring manager wants.

While recruiters think it is a numbers game, I can assure anyone in the hiring business that it’s far more about quality than quantity.

Too many recruiters are too young and green to see quality, whether on a computer screen or piece of paper, or in a conversation.

I explained to Mark that getting a job is a process, and the bigger the company, the more complicated that process is.

The goal of the cover letter and résumé is to get enough attention to get an interview (probably by phone first, then in person) with the recruiter. During those interviews, the primary goal is to avoid being eliminated; say the right things to get to the interview that matters most – with the hiring manager.

We will practice these interviews so he will know what to expect.

I told Mark that as he learns and grows at whatever company he goes to work at, he will need to create and nature his own professional network.

I’m not talking about a network of recruiters, but one of hiring managers. The goal is to avoid recruiters as much as possible in the future.

This networking cannot be done just when someone needs a job. It has to be an ongoing part of a person’s professional career.

Mark can do this by becoming active in professional organizations in his industry, by continuing his formal education, by reading journals and research in his field, and by becoming an investor in those companies in his industry that are publically traded.

In addition, he will need to try, time permitting, to stay connected and active with his alma maters, particularly in the departments where he earned his degrees.

Because at this point Mark lacks experience in his chosen industry, he understands that until he can make a contribution, he’ll be an under-performing asset to his employer.

But Mark offers intangibles that make him a less risky hire than other candidates.

He wants to earn and not be given a paycheck. He was to be challenged and held accountable for results.

He’s proven through his educational career, part-time and summer jobs that he can follow rules, policies and procedures.

This translates into having a work ethic, the ability to follow directions, to be part of a team, to treat others well, to complete assignments on time.

Mark will find a suitable position soon, of that I am sure.

The takeaway for business owners, CEOs and entrepreneurs is that it would be appropriate to review your hiring procedures because they may not be serving your company well.

The takeaway for those who are employed is that no job is guaranteed. Having a network is no longer an option, it is mandatory. Just like you learn from others about doctors, dentists, restaurants and movies, you should have the same feedback loop about employment opportunities; you never know when you’ll need to tap into that network.

Ken Keller is an executive coach who works with small and midsize B2B company owners, CEOs and entrepreneurs. He facilitates formal top executive peer groups for business expansion, including revenue growth, improved internal efficiencies, and greater profitability. Please contact him at Ken.Keller@StrategicAdvisoryBoards.com. Keller’s column reflects his own views and not necessarily those of this media outlet.

About the author

Ken Keller

Ken Keller, Signal Contributor

Upcoming Events

Jan
12
Fri
all-day Domes – Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library
Domes – Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library
Jan 12 – May 11 all-day
Domes - Art Exhibit @ Old Town Newhall Library | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Local resident Naomi Young, is the artist featured in the latest exhibit at the Old Town Newhall Library. The exhibit features original paintings and multimedia by Young, an artist born and raised in Jerusalem, Israel,[...]
Feb
1
Thu
all-day “The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarit... @ Valencia Library
“The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarit... @ Valencia Library
Feb 1 – Jun 1 all-day
“The Golden Oaks of Santa Clarita,” Art Exhibit @ Valencia Library  | Santa Clarita | California | United States
“THE GOLDEN OAKS OF SANTA CLARITA” ART EXHIBIT BY BRAD SERGI ON DISPLAY AT THE VALENCIA LIBRARY Library hours: Mon-Thu 10 a.m. – 9 p.m., Fri 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., Sat 10 a.m. – 5[...]
Feb
14
Wed
all-day Tickets Available Now for 41st A... @ Dodger Stadium
Tickets Available Now for 41st A... @ Dodger Stadium
Feb 14 – May 12 all-day
Tickets Available Now for 41st Annual SCV Dodger Day @ Dodger Stadium | Los Angeles | California | United States
SANTA CLARITA DODGER DAY TICKETS ON SALE NOW! Tickets Start at $25 and Benefit Local Schools and Non-Profits It’s time to step up to the plate! The Santa Clarita City Council invites residents to purchase[...]
Apr
19
Thu
all-day Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival Co... @ Event Locations Vary
Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival Co... @ Event Locations Vary
Apr 19 – Apr 22 all-day
BUY YOUR TICKETS NOW FOR COWBOY FESTIVAL CONCERTS – Locations, Times & Prices Vary 25th Annual Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival offers ticketed performances and special events Get ready for some toe-tapping, two-stepping, guitar-picking musical performances![...]
Apr
20
Fri
Apr 20 – Apr 23 all-day
7:00 pm Hart High School Presents ‘Bye, ... @ Hart High school Auditorium
Hart High School Presents ‘Bye, ... @ Hart High school Auditorium
Apr 20 @ 7:00 pm
Hart High School Presents 'Bye, Bye Birdie' @ Hart High school Auditorium | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Spring Musical Coming April 2018! Hart High Theatre is proud to present Bye Bye Birdie! April 19, 20, 27 & 28 @ 7pm April 28 & 29 @ 1pm When the draft selects rock star[...]
Apr
21
Sat
Apr 21 – Apr 24 all-day
10:00 am Astronomy Day @ Valencia Library
Astronomy Day @ Valencia Library
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 10:00 pm
The Local Group Astronomy Club and The Santa Clarita Public Library present our free annual Astronomy Day Celebration. We will be at the Valencia branch of the Santa Clarita Public Library from 10am to 3pm.[...]
10:00 am Resource Parents Needed to Foste... @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222
Resource Parents Needed to Foste... @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Resource Parents Needed to Foster or Foster-Adopt a Child @ College of the Canyons, Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center, Room 222 | Santa Clarita | California | United States
Adoption is a meaningful way for individuals and couples to fulfill their dream of parenting.  There are approximately 64,000 children in foster care in California.  Los Angeles County’s foster care population exceeds 21,000 children with[...]
10:00 am The City of Lancaster’s 27th Ann... @ Sgt. Steve Owen Memorial Park
The City of Lancaster’s 27th Ann... @ Sgt. Steve Owen Memorial Park
Apr 21 @ 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
The City of Lancaster’s 27th Annual California Poppy Festival, Sat & Sun @ Sgt. Steve Owen Memorial Park | Lancaster | California | United States
On April 21 and 22, the City of Lancaster will host the 27th annual California Poppy Festival™ at Sgt. Steve Owen Memorial Park (43063 10th Street West). Drawing more than 40,000 attendees and spanning 35[...]