Worldwide Candle Lighting to Remember Children, Siblings & Grandchildren

Courtesy photo
Share
Tweet
Email

By Alice Renolds, Santa Clarita Contributor

When a child dies, at any age, the family suffers intense pain and is probably the most traumatic life-changing event that you will ever experience.  That is why it’s important to the family that the child always be remembered.

I know this first hand, as I am the mother of two sons who were killed in a horrific car crash 17 years ago here in Santa Clarita.  It is so very important to bereaved parents to hear their child’s names and see their pictures, whether it has been 6 months or 20 years.  That is why as Co-Leader of the Santa Clarita Chapter of The Compassionate Friends support group I want to make sure that the community knows that they are invited to join us as we participate in the 21st Annual Worldwide Candle Lighting to remember all children, siblings, and grandchildren who have died at any age.

Our special service will be held on Sunday, December 10 at 6:30 p.m. at La Mesa Jr. High School, 26623 May Way Santa Clarita 91351.  It will feature poems, selected readings, music, a slide show and performances with featured singers.  Candles (battery operated) will be provided to all those who attend.  After the program cookies, coffee and hot chocolate will be available.

The holiday season is an extremely difficult time of the year for families grieving the death of a child.  For me, even after 17 years I can barely get through these celebratory days starring at those two empty chairs.  This candle lighting however, unites bereaved families around the world as a symbolic way of showing the love we continue to carry for our children, even though they can no longer be with us physically.

Please join us so…. “that their light may always shine.”

To learn more contact Alice Renolds at [email protected] or visit www.compassionatefriends-scv.org

Related To This Story

Latest NEWS