Pop Sk8 is bringing a pop-up roller skating rink to the Westfield Valencia Town Center in May.
This themed roller rink will be more than just skating — it will be an immersive experience featuring performances and a mix of current music with classic songs and movie scores that coincide with each night’s different theme, according to creator Ann Potenza.
“We’re trying to bring the spirit of fun and community to the neighborhood,” Potenza said. “And we want to make it a place where you can create some special memories.”
Potenza and her husband have been performers and co-producers of live theatre, films and music videos for over 20 years, and they are excited to create their own interactive performance on wheels.
Each day of the week will feature a different decade of music:
- On “Swing SK8” Mondays, “pop-sk8ers” will hear classic tunes from the ‘40s and ‘50s mixed with some new swing music.
- “Groovy Tuesday” will feature ‘60s music.
- “Dyn-O-Mite” Wednesdays will include disco, pop and classic rock music from the ‘70s.
- Thursdays will be perfect if “I Want My 80s.”
- For a “DJ Megamix,” visit the rink on Fridays and Saturdays where you’ll hear hits from the ‘90s, Y2K (the ‘00s) and today.
- If you love broadway and movie musicals, visit the rink on Sundays for “LA LA SK8 Land.”
“Chris Cox, our music director, is channelling every day to be a mix of songs from each era that people love and remember, along with a lot of throwbacks, all mixed together with some new and current tunes,” Potenza said.
Throughout the day, surprise pop-up performances will immerse skaters in the day’s theme and feature contests, games and group “sk8-a-longs,” according to Potenza.
You can purchase an all-day wristband for $15, which allows you to come and go as you please. Quad skate rental is included in the price of admission, but Potenza says people are welcome to bring their own. There will also be cabanas for rent, if you’d like to host a party or group event.
Pop-Sk8 will make its debut on May 4 with a special Star Wars themed day of skating, Potenza said.
Pop-Sk8 will be located at the Westfield Valencia parking lot from May 4-27 and will continue to other Los Angeles locations throughout the summer. The rink will be open from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. on weekdays and 12 p.m. to 12 a.m. on weekends.
For more information about Pop-Sk8 or to buy tickets, visit https://popsk8.live/home.