Permits for curb work to drain yard water


Permits for curb work

My name is Monica S., I live in Canyon Country. After flooding in my home I have heeded your warning about drainage at my home. I reached out to a contractor for the drains and he said that I need a permit in order for him to core the curb so that he can direct the water from my yards out to the street, and not have the water dispense out onto the sidewalk.

That makes sense as far as the drainage, but the permit? Why on earth would we need to do drawings, have someone out and pull a permit just to core a four inch hole in the curb?

— Monica


This is 100% accurate, your contractor is doing exactly what he/she is supposed to be doing.

The reason is that you can’t just randomly core a hole into a curb because each hole weakens the curb. The engineer is to go out to assess the area and make sure that there aren’t too many holes cored that will put the area at risk.

The curbs are city property and the city has a responsibility to maintain these areas. If everyone cores at their will, that could be a huge liability to the city. You could even be denied, depending on what the immediate area is like. Your contractor is spot on, so follow his lead.

Good luck, Robert
Robert Lamoureux has 38 years of experience as a general contractor, with separate licenses in electrical and plumbing contracting. He owns IMS Construction Inc. in Valencia. His opinions are his own, not necessarily those of The Signal. Opinions expressed in this column are not meant to replace the recommendations of a qualified contractor after that contractor has made a thorough visual inspection. Email questions to Robert at [email protected].

Related To This Story

Latest NEWS