Celebrate with the Philharmonic

Brass section of the Santa Clarita Philharmonic. Courtesy photo
Share
Tweet
Email

By Dr. Mark Elfont, Santa Clarita Contributor

Come celebrate with the Santa Clarita Philharmonic as we embark on our fifth season as the premier symphonic orchestra in the Santa Clarita Valley. We have three momentous occasions to celebrate. First is our inaugural performance at the magnificent Santa Clarita Performing Arts Center at the College of the Canyons. Second is our first performance with a choir as we welcome the Valencia High School Choir to our stage. Third is the culmination of the journey of our Music Director, Jeffrey Gilbert, to achieve his Master of Music degree from California State University at Northridge.

Music Director Jeffrey Gilbert. Courtesy photo

The program for the concert is a celebration of song. Starting with “Finlandia” by Jean Sibelius, composed in 1899, as a covert protest against increasing censorship from the Russian Empire. Following Sibelius, enjoy the melodious Symphony No. 2 by Howard Hanson. This piece is also known as the Romantic Symphony, which was composed in 1930 for the celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Boston Symphony Orchestra. After intermission, the orchestra will be joined by the Valencia High School Choir for holiday inspired selections. “Consecrate the Place and Day” by Z. Randall Stroope offers a heraldic call for joy and harmony. “Glow” by Eric Whitacre was composed in 2013 for the World of Color – Winter Dreams Show which premiered at Disney California Adventure. “O Magnum Mysterium” by Mark Miller is a responsive chant from the Matins of Christmas. The final piece, “Magnificat” by Kevin Memley creates a stunningly beautiful and new sound.

Please join us on Sunday, December 10, at 3 p.m., at the Santa Clarita Performing Arts Center at the College of the Canyons, 26455 Rockwell Canyon Road, Santa Clarita.

Tickets are $12 for adults and $8 for seniors and students. Please call 661-362-5304 or visit www.CanyonsPAC.com.

For more information please visit our website www.scphilharmonic.org or email us at [email protected].

Related To This Story

Latest NEWS